Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

flame vs rotary cut pipe bevel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flame vs rotary cut pipe bevel

Why would one be preferred over the other? Rotary doesnt have a HAZ or require any (much?) cleanup but the equipment is very expense relative to flame bevelling. Im sure Im missing more important points.

Any one???

Comment

What material and grade of pipe?

J

Comment

Same question was asked when I was in school. Teach said that each has their place. On the back of a rig in a field, a torch beveler might be all you can run because you cannot get enough power off that bobcat to run a rotary.

A rotary might be useful some where you cannot have a shower of sparks flying around, like a gas refinery. And why would HAZ be a worry, if your going to weld the pipe anyway, it would not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
          What material and grade of pipe?

J
          No idea...any I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by joeftw18 View Post
            Same question was asked when I was in school. Teach said that each has their place. On the back of a rig in a field, a torch beveler might be all you can run because you cannot get enough power off that bobcat to run a rotary.

A rotary might be useful some where you cannot have a shower of sparks flying around, like a gas refinery. And why would HAZ be a worry, if your going to weld the pipe anyway, it would not matter.
            That a bunch of $ to tie up for the occasional use. Also seems a Bobcat should run one pretty easily.

For high yield strength pipe and the like it seems there would be some cause for concern. Welding parameters are strict (as I understand it) and flaming cutting may not be acceptable in that it overheats the pipe + there would need to be some post heat procedure. So, in that case perhaps some other cutting method is necessary.

ETA: It also occured to me that not all materials can be cut w/ flame. So, in that case perhaps the rotary machine might be used.
            Last edited by HayFarmer; 06-03-2013, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Regular oxy/acy beveling machine by a far, far, far wide margin on any carbon steel, of any grade. Using anything else is throwing dollars out the window.

As already mentioned your haz is a result of the welding process and/or travel speed and current (those variables are addressed in the procedure), beveling the pipe is immaterial.

There isn't any clean up on a proper cut bevel, just a few seconds to put on a land.

J

Comment

OK, fair enough. Id still like to know why youd use a rotary machine to make a bevel. Thats my main interest....

Comment

Speed and consistency. Plus as previously mentioned not all materials can be torch cut.

Comment

Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
                    Speed and consistency. Plus as previously mentioned not all materials can be torch cut.

A thermal beveling machine is a lot faster than any mechanical machine I've ever seen.

Beveling machines will run with an oxy/acy torch or a plasma.

J

Comment

Originally posted by HayFarmer View Post
                      OK, fair enough. Id still like to know why youd use a rotary machine to make a bevel. Thats my main interest....

My observation has been that about the only place I see mechanical bevelers used is on orbital/automatic welds.

J

Comment

i had a job years back building pipe for off shore oil exploration, i used gas/oky pipe cutters many times, both mechanical and motorized, they worked wonderful, as for the gas that we used, i think it was propane or, mayby natural gas, not acetylene, and all of these preps were xrayed and ultrasounded inspected, the heat affect to the pipe, as mentioned is a non issue

Comment

Plasma pipe bevelling in the field is getting extremely popular. There can be a single pass, double pass (change torch angle and produce bevel with land) and tripple passes that can produce a necessary undercut when transitions (changing to a heavier wall thickness for passing under roads, streams, etc.) are needed. Using protable generators and compressors are all that is needed....and often the process is safer than having to cart compressed gases in the field. Further, you can switch from machine torch to hand torch in seconds with many of the better plasma systems.

Jim Colt
                          Attached Files

Comment

First, thanks for all the replies!! Just to be clear my question is really not so much about flame cutting as it is why would you use a mechanical beveling machine (one w/ cutters) instead of flame or arc.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.