Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duty Cycle, how often you really exceed it?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Cycle, how often you really exceed it?

I know I don't weld as hard as the professionals but I can't remember ever exceeding my duty cycle. My lil Blue Star Jr. is a tank. It says only 60% @90a but I know it runs hotter than its max 100a and have definitely exceeded the 6 min on "MAX". Haven't seen the light on my mm211 either. Anyway I know most of you guys probably have,I'm just throwing the topic out there.

I had a blue star.. it was a nice lil machine. I wish i still had it for little stuff, i liked how light it was. I really dont know what happens to a blue star if you exceed the duty cycle.. i dont think it shuts off the arc but i dunno... does it? I know the millermatics shut of... they shut off for about 15 minutes, i do it all the time with my 180

Comment

Yeah that lil thing is my dude. I wouldn't sell it for nothin'!! I think it's really underrated. I mean Miller makes a helluva engine drive, so doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Hard to do as a hobby weldor.

Even a 20% duty cycle 2mins out of 10

watch your clock for 2 minutes straight

Most of the time you are moving around, starting and stopping so hitting the duty cycle is rare. If you are then you need a bigger machine.

Comment

Glad for the hse I have a plenty. If not we just goto work and bring home the Boobcat.

Comment

My girl has always said my duty cycle needed to be longer and that I really do need a bigger machine.

Comment

Lol, Boobcat! I hit my duty cycle on my Diversion 180 all the time on aluminum, and quite a few times on my 211 as well, the spool gun can't keep up at all! Been through 100 tips in a year!! But gonna love the upgrades!! :-)

Comment

Never had one shut off on thermal.

Comment

Duty cycle... or Thermal shutdown

It seems like a lot of us are confusing duty-cycle with thermal shut-down.

Comment

Hit the 50 amp breaker in the electrical panel with the Syncrowave so many times, I upgraded to a Dynasty.

Aluminum takes beaucoup amps.

Have never tripped a machine's thermal protection shutdown, even the little 150 Maxstar's.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank865:308506
                      It seems like a lot of us are confusing duty-cycle with thermal shut-down.
                      Well their not the same thing but they are definetly related... when you exceed the duty cycle the machine will shut down.. you are supposed to follow the duty cycle so you don't overheat the machine

Comment

I don't think I have ever exceeded the duty cycle on any of my machines, but I have popped the thermal breaker a few times and also the circuit breaker a couple of times. But, I really only pop either of them when working on THICK aluminum and try to push things a little hard.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.