Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding protection during summer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding protection during summer

Summertime is nearing here in central Texas and I am looking for some input. I moved back here from southern **** "California" and wanted some opinions on welding protection. At the moment I have a older flame resistant jacket and leather jacket with long and short bibs with open back. I was contemplating buying a pair of arm sleeves for shop fabrication since there is no overhead welding. What are your thoughts on these and if so what is a cops quality pair. Heat and humidity take a toll when leathers are used. I only have a few Carhart and Wrangler long sleeves and don't want to wash them too often so they don't loose their flame resistance. Thank you for reading and hope I receive some helpful insight.

Maybe you can pick up some blue cotton uniforms? That's all I wear at work. I never where a jacket or sleeves unless it's wintertime. They will not melt to you skin either. Cintas and Red Cap sell them. Dave
    Originally posted by Texas113 View Post
    Summertime is nearing here in central Texas and I am looking for some input. I moved back here from southern **** "California" and wanted some opinions on welding protection. At the moment I have a older flame resistant jacket and leather jacket with long and short bibs with open back. I was contemplating buying a pair of arm sleeves for shop fabrication since there is no overhead welding. What are your thoughts on these and if so what is a cops quality pair. Heat and humidity take a toll when leathers are used. I only have a few Carhart and Wrangler long sleeves and don't want to wash them too often so they don't loose their flame resistance. Thank you for reading and hope I receive some helpful insight.

Comment

If you have any ''Goodwill stores'' in your area you may find some 100% cotton work shirts to burn up.

Comment

It's Texas, you will cook no matter what you wear. Add long pants, cap, leather gloves, long-sleeve shirt, boots, 150 Amps, 160F+ ground in the blazing sun and it's torture.

Outdoors I use cheap, thin BDU pants, cotton T-shirt, leather cape + bib and an FR umbrella on a homemade pipe stand. Start at daybreak, leave before 3 p.m. or suffer the consequences.

Inside a non-A/C building I use an FR cotton cape + bib and fan pointed at my legs to avoid disturbing the shielding gas. I still knock off around 3 p.m.

I hate Texas in the summer.

Comment

I lived in Abilene for a couple years, glad I wasn't welding then.

I got to find some cloths also. Shorts and tennis shoes are not working to well. That spatter always finds it way in the shoes. I'm talking backyard rod burning, I wouldn't go out somewhere like that.

I do put on the sleeves but they are old, stiff and hot. I'll be buying some stuff soon.

Comment

Is it true that if you starch the **** out of cotton long sleeves they hold up better in welding environments? I have yet to go to Goodwill and an in need of second hand work shirts. Not to mention I would rather wear them instead of "trendy" and overpriced casual wear.

Comment

Buy a pack of welding sleeves and cotton button up shirt. I work in vegas and it doesnt provide perfect protection but it works.

Comment

Carhartt makes a few really nice, thick western style denim shirts. Their about 40-50 bucks a pop but they are the best shirts I ever had. When u first get them their uncomfortable and stiff so wash em a few times with softener and that makes em comfortable. I order them from a local carhartt dealer and buy like 3 or 4 at a time. They last me about a year n that's pretty good cause I am very hard on them...lol

Comment

This one is about 2months old. Its still getting broke in. Its a little hot since its dark but when it fades it gets much better
                  Attached Files

Comment

This one is over a year old and is about to retire. As you can see it has lots of iron on denim patches on it. But it is the most comfortable and cool shirt I have for working in. As for the carhartt FR... don't even waste your time or money. They aren't made for welders, their made more for flash burns. Like for electricians. These 100% cotton shirts hold up longer and are much more comfortable
                    Attached Files

Comment

Welding protection during summer

Thank you for that. I wag going to ask about the FR shirts. At our local store they have them and the Wrangler FRs for about 50-60 bucks. They also have jeans that are FR and only cost a few dollars more. All I wear is regular Wrangler jeans and they hold up fairly well. As for the sleeves are they even worth the hassle? Now I am thinking it is just one more fancy expense that is unnecessary. I do like to follow the KISS principle.

Comment

Leather sleeves aren't bad.. but I don't wear them for what I do. I worked at Baltimore air coil a while back as a coil welder and all I did was stand there and weld all day... I wore them then. Bif you have to move around a lot or get in tight spaces the sleeves will just be a hassle

Comment

I thought they might be handy for in " in shop" fabrication. I'm not really moving around much when I shop weld. Normally it's 90% prep and 10% welding on numerous fit ups all at once. That would be their main use. Like you said earlier no air flow and a hot shop wear you down.

Comment

I worked with a fitter that wore his old DRESS shirts to work ALL the time ! I think he only had two REAL cotton work shirts. Guys would ask where's the rest of the suit.

Comment

So would that be considered function over fashion?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.