Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

150 tons of fun

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 tons of fun

So some of you may remember me asking around for 75 ton hydraulic cylinders for a press brake I planned on building. Found a couple cylinders about 3 months ago,so knowing what size and psi they were I had a pump ordered and built a 4 foot press brake. Pictures are from a month ago and it still sits now as it looks. I have not had time to do much else to it. It is functional but I still need to add adjustable stops, back gauge and a hold down for the bottom die.
    Attached Files

Looks great. All the ones i ran just had a couple of rails for the bottom die to slide in...Bob

Comment

150 tons of fun

Very nice work !!

Comment

top notch build for sure.looks like a future money maker.just wondering if you had any thoughts into making it wider so you could bend 8' and 10' sheets of plate. the shops around here that do all the plate bending make pretty good money .

Comment

It will have a specific purpose. I have a 8 ft brake.

Comment

150 tons of fun

Looks friggin' awesome!!

Comment

Kinky!

Comment

Looks manufactured, great job. Is that a foster pump?

Comment

It's a good thing, but I'd have to say, if this is for a small home shop, that it kinda falls into the OVERKILL catagory.

My sons are always saying that when I build something, it's always OVERKILL.

I tell them that I go by what my Dad used to tell me and that was, " In some cases, it's better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

That's a great looking press. Now I want to build a bigger one.

Comment

A little mor info. Foster 3000 psi pump, frame 4"x8"x1" angle, a leftover 18"x65 pound per foot I beam for the bottom die. "still plan to add more plating around it." Paint will be last
                    Certainly not for hobby use. Mainly will be dedicated for 1/8 stair pans. Its max capacity 3/8 at 4 feet.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That looks great. It looks way better than Any manufactured brake I have seen that size. Also good job on the platform... looks great.

Comment

Have you thought of how to keep the rams even when bending? It looks like you have just teed the hose from the pump? If you bend off center won't the side with least resistance go down further? This would only be a problem when air bending & not die forming.

Comment

Correct, but as mentioned earlier, adjustable stops will be added to each side for consistent and repeatable bends.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.