Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

popping?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popping?

I'm running a ranger 305g with 1700 hours on it. When welding it is popping and spitting more than normal. Tried different heat and compared head to head with other welders using the same kinds of rods and we can't seem to get it to stop. Does anyone have any ideas as to what causes big popping and spitting? When i say that I mean more than normal of course.

Valves out of adjustment or maybe a dropped valve, broken keeper.

Comment

I think he means in the arc is having issues. Brendan can you specify as to which one it is?

Comment

popping?

Sorry, arc yes.

Comment

Got the right polarity, process switch to the right one (cc/cv)?

Comment

popping?

Yup. The other guy who was trouble shooting and trying to figure it out with me has welded for about 19 years. There is a truremote wireless remote on it thinking something may be up with that

Comment

popping?

It's almost similar to the popping and spitting of arc blow but arc blow is not the case.

Comment

popping?

Sorry for all the posts. I'm posting as I go. I think another way to describe it is that it is popping and spitting instead of sizzling (frying bacon sound) if that makes sense

Comment

Could the metal be magnetized or could splatter guard have been sprayed on the steel?
                  Is the metal new or from a salvage yard where it could have gotten something dumped, spilled or sprayed on it and cleaned off ?

Sounds like the steel is the problem ifen everyone else is using the same wire and your machine works on other jobs......
                  Last edited by tackit; 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I would first start by checking to make sure the rpm is correct. Below is a link per Cruizers specifications.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ighlight=meter

Comment

My TB was welding crappy a wile back, turns out I had a poor cable connection. Swap cable from one of the good welders to check. I have had it weld poorly on other occasions because my son would play in the back of the truck and flipped the switches, or move the cables from CC to CV. Take a pic of the front panel as it is set up to weld and post it. Also, if there is a remote on there disconnect it and try.

Comment

popping?

Hey thanks everyone for the replies. It turns out it was a mixture of things. Weak ground clamp helped a bit but I pulls the cover off and it turned out the guy had the wireless remote box wired up wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.