• Show
Clear All

• best grinding wheel for aluminum?

Click image for larger version

Name:	weld9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	532283

Hey there. I have made some welds on 3/16" aluminum. the welds need to be ground down. whats the best wheel to take off the initial weld, then whats best to blend? i need them in the a.m. so i can only go to home depot or harbour freight. can you tell me what store carrys what i need? thanks.
    Last edited by westpoint; 05-17-2013, 07:44 PM.

Sandpaper flap discs work great. Course ones to start fine to finish. If you can't find those you can use a regular grinding wheel but cover the wheel and weld with crisco shortening this will keep the wheel from plugging with aluminum. Sounds weird but I do it all the time on my surface grinder and the wheel is not plugged

Comment

Multi flap. Does the best blending on any material.

Comment

For rough grinding of aluminum I use a wheel designed for aluminum, seems to cut better than the steel ones. The steel ones seem to hop around on aluminum. Then a flap disc for the final bling finish
        MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
        Diversion 180
        Spectrum 375 X-TREME
        Portable Victor O/A
        Palmgren Bench Drill Press
        14" Evolution Dry Saw
        IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
        Speedglas 9100x
        My Brain

Comment

i spray wd 40 on the wheel and work. im sure other light oils will do the same.makes a mess but rips through aluminum.keeps the wheel from clogging. sait and im sure the other top brands make a wheel for aluminum that do a great job but are expensive. i use those when i dont want an oily mess

Comment

keep all you old flapper wheels the older they get the better they are .i use new ones to take off and smooth the welds and then i put on an old one to polish it.the older they are the better it polishes

Comment

best grinding wheel for aluminum?

I do mainly architectural now and when grinding aluminum flap wheels are much to easy to create a low spot. Use sanding discs with stiff rubber backers(like 3m products not the plastic backers at homedepot). All you have to do is scuff the pad with a "slick stick" or some other paste like lubricant.

Comment

GOOD VIDEO http://www.walter.com/Walter/en-us/a...uminum/1-4-alu
                Last edited by tackit; 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I use flap wheels for most of my aluminum.. then when I need a nice finish I use Walter blending wheels.. the ones with the Velcro pad. You can put a shiny finish on just about anything with em, their expensive and I can only find em at welding suppliers but their well worth it

Comment

Working...
                  X