Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What CFM and PSI tdo professional sandblasters use

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What CFM and PSI tdo professional sandblasters use

Could someone that sandblasts industrial steel for a living tell me what size air supply tank,CFM, PSI and tip size you would use to blast a truck rim. Thanks

I don't sandblast myself but I service the equipment for a business that does and he has 375 CFM compressors and one big one ? and the tank looked to be 500 gallon. Nozzle tip was 3/4" or there about. He does industrial equipment and government stuff. Hope that helps.

Comment

air requirements for blasting

for a 1/4 inch orifice it takes approx 100cfm @100-125 psi and is a very productive set-up. for small jobs a pressure blaster with a 1/8" orifice will work very well with 50 cfm and give you good production (also @100-125 psi)

Comment

Thanks guys for your information, it really helps, now I know why my blasting is so pitifully slow, it would take three of mine to get to 50 CFM, it's no wonder why my 5 HP Quincy won't cut the mustard. I go deaf and run out of cuss words listening to my 5 HP Quincy struggling to do a trailer or car rim.

Comment

Might try the one I saw them use on outboard motors, it went on a pressure washer and worked with the water, it did a great job on aluminum.

Comment

Try a smaller orifice. I have a 80 gallon tank and an IR T-30 with a 7 horse. It drops to about 80 and stays there. You can also likely put a bigger motor on your pump and a new motor pulley to speed it up. Need to look at the manual for your pump and find out what speed it is good for.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
              Try a smaller orifice. I have a 80 gallon tank and an IR T-30 with a 7 horse. It drops to about 80 and stays there. You can also likely put a bigger motor on your pump and a new motor pulley to speed it up. Need to look at the manual for your pump and find out what speed it is good for.
              Diverdude I have heard both good and bad about pressure washer blasters. Mine puts out 3500 PSI at 4 GPM, if they worked on steel I would buy one but nothing definite causes me to keep my money in my pocket. Thanks for commenting though, I appreciate it.

Walker, my compressor is over twenty years old, I'm afraid to beef it up. This summer I'm going to turn it over and check the bottom for soft spots.

Comment

hope this could help

a chart found on a blasting site.
                Attached Files

Comment

Water/sand really cuts especially with sharp material. A 4 gpm unit would be pretty productive.

Comment

You should be able to size your orfice/unit to do a rim with your comp. Depending on codition would be waiting for a full recharge about as it was to be flipped to do the other side. Lots more factors than just size. Pitted rust needs fine soft sand, coatings hard and sharp etc. Wrong media = 10 x the work, wrong flow rate another issue. Use to much air at too hi pressure in some cases, regulate.

Sandblasting a trailer takes a quite a bit of air, mechanical clean before blast helps.
                    Last edited by Sberry; 05-18-2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                      a chart found on a blasting site.
                      snowbird when I click on the link I get a message that windows photo viewer can't read the file????? It happens a lot I don't know how to fix it...

Comment

I tried everything, either I get moisture or their isn't enough product. My nozzle's orfice is a 3/32, I been thinking about buying a bigger hose for more air but with the setup I have, pressure backs up into the tank because the volume is so much greater than can escape out the nozzle. If I could try a water type blaster before I had to buy one I would try it out.

I'm having a few bad days, the family is pissing me off. I think I need to get drunk and go swimming naked.
                        Last edited by tackit; 05-18-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

It is a pdf file inside a zip file. I tried to copy it as a pdf and upload it directly but I get a message that it is larger than the web site will allow for this type of file. Maybe snowbird can post a link to where he found it.----Meltedmetal

Comment

this one should be redable.

Sorry for the delay, wife kept me busy today ;o)

edit.can't fix the redable for readable...no wonder why i post pdf's
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by snowbird; 05-18-2013, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.