Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling USMCPOP

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling USMCPOP

Didn't know that, that's good to know. The Co. I rebuild reamers for buy it by tractor trailer load to use in underground directional boring. May be good to put in with wire or rods to keep moisture off ? For me cheap also. :-)
    Thx for info. Great lo learn from each other.

Comment

It's amazing how one thing leads to another. I just google up this business in Indiana, they say they sell the product but I haven't called them yet to verify it.

http://www.knappsupply.com/

The guy that knows about the product won't be back until Monday.
      Last edited by tackit; 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Calling USMCPOP

Ill look next time up there. They get it in 50 or 80 lb. paper sacks. I thought it was just plain bentonite but ill need to check it out. If so could ups u a bag or part of a bag.
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
          Ill look next time up there. They get it in 50 or 80 lb. paper sacks. I thought it was just plain bentonite but ill need to check it out. If so could ups u a bag or part of a bag.
          Greg
          Thanks Greg, that's really swell of you, I appreciate your wanting to help. I'll give the business a try first since they are only a few miles from me.

Comment

I think the Bentonite is used in ponds to reduce leakage.

I have read that the really cheap, Special Kitty plain cat litter at Wal Mart is Bentonite. You want the kind that softens when wet.

http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1.../questions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by USMCPOP View Post
              I think the Bentonite is used in ponds to reduce leakage.

I have read that the really cheap, Special Kitty plain cat litter at Wal Mart is Bentonite. You want the kind that softens when wet.

http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1.../questions.htm
              Thanks Pop for the link, I'll keep it in mind when I price the WT that Bentonite sells. sounds like their WT is processed or mined from a special geology.

Comment

You might find fire clay at Lowes or Home Depot. My local Lowes has Muddox "mortar clay" $8. for a 50 lb. bag.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCPOP View Post
                  You might find fire clay at Lowes or Home Depot. My local Lowes has Muddox "mortar clay" $8. for a 50 lb. bag.
                  Sounds good POP, after I get the table fastened to the floor I'll be checking into things more.... get the wash tub there too.

Comment

Wal Mart has 8.8 pound bags of hardwood lump charcoal. I'm going to have to try it out.

Comment

I would just make a steel wheel or brake drum coal forge. Quick, easy and cheap.

I don't think you need to worry about the bentonite or clay lining...I didn't use any, and my setup works just fine.

You can overthink this stuff to the point that you never actually get down to heating and beating steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
                        ... I don't think you need to worry about the bentonite or clay lining...
                        Some of us just like to play in the mud.

Comment

tackit

I saw this thread the other day, and wanted to give you a link. I know you're not in Houston, but this is an interesting site and group.

http://www.habairon.org/

Comment

Thanks cope, a lot of good information there.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.