Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIG, even a blind squirrel...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG, even a blind squirrel...

Finds an acorn now and then!

I've been tigging all day with the Diversion 165 and learning some stuff, I've been playing with dirfferent sized cups, gas rates and feeds.

Mostly been watching the puddle to get a handle on that. Switched Tungstens too as I was using 2% thoriated on aluminum. Today I've been using my only orange. Ceriated??

Over the course of the day I've seen an improvement in the control. Nowhere near calling myself a welder yet but at least I'm getting to look at the details. Watching the puddle seems paramount to me so far....

The new WP-17 and silky cable seems a small advantage over the LS-17 stiff cable supplied with the Diversion.

THANX to all of you Pro's for the guidance and encourement!!

Steve

Here's what I've learned today, center outwards with the peremiter being the last effort .

Kinda makes me think of those Alien horror films but nonetheless you can see some progress from Moron to Clueless? Eh?

After Clueless I get to speak loudly in bars about the craft, right?
    Last edited by GT6Steve; 05-11-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Woah....

Comment

Thats aluminum right? You should try PURE Tungsten, you'd probably see a bit more consistancy.

Comment

TIG, even a blind squirrel...

Pure tungsten is for transformer based tig welders, keep using the orange/gray (new color) 2% ceriated on your inverter.

Comment

Good looking out brother, the only Alum. I have ever welded was with 2% so thanks for the correction.

Comment

I meant pure, thats all I have used personally.

Comment

Playing more today I seem to be doing better with smaller cups. I went away from the #8 gaslens and 3/32 rod and am doing a #6 standard cup. About 20 CFM.

I'm thinking the #8 stuff is just about the maximum size for the Diversion and I may benefit from smaller.

I ground off all the crap mess the Alien pic and I'm going at it again with smaller parts.

Last time round I noticed a "solar flare" type hot spot at the top of the tungsten envelope. If that makes sense.

I'll grind it again and see what it looks like then. Can I correctly assume the plume should look as stable as a gas torch?

Comment

Hmmm, I'm out of argon and out of filler rod. maybe that's a good thing for the welding world....

Comment

WooHoo!,

Fresh argon, more filler rods, different Tungstens, Let's go learn something! This aluminum welding has a lot of tricks to figure out

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.