Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help!!!! Pictures

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help!!!! Pictures

ok, here we go. both sides inside need to be covered in 3/16 aluminum. im not sure if i should try and fill the holes with material and try to blend it in, or put a whole piece in front of each side. also, the transom has been cut and needs to be hinged. i dont know what route to go. i need to know what kind of hinges i need if i cant use one in picture having the door swing out. i need to know whats the easiest way to tackle this job would be and still look nice. i need some advice on this here guys. thanks for any help in advance, Joe

Name:  f3c5358c4f979fc18fff55446d8ef040.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  50.0 KB
    Name:  461ce0d49680f9d1a17d97e6f58e1ebf.jpg
Size:  50.4 KB
    Name:  d1c20d29efcc7d1a70c2d29e8889719a.jpg
Size:  40.8 KB
    Name:  ec57807ff98338adf4ba8e901bf44d6c.jpg
Size:  55.7 KB
    Name:  d694c8790956d0d3f6350d4201f2da3f.jpg
Size:  41.5 KB

What is your process?

I do both mig and tig. But either way I would fit in and blend down the welds. I would bevel if using tig, and gap with a steel gas trap behind if done with mig.

If you think you are good enough to leave your welds show, covering from both sides would save you a lot of grinding a blending. But again that is not the way I would go.

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
      What is your process?

I do both mig and tig. But either way I would fit in and blend down the welds. I would bevel if using tig, and gap with a steel gas trap behind if done with mig.

If you think you are good enough to leave your welds show, covering from both sides would save you a lot of grinding a blending. But again that is not the way I would go.
      I only have a dynasty 200 so ill tig it. So you say just fill in holes don't run sheet across? And any advice on the door. 188 views 1 response?

Comment

Originally posted by westpoint View Post
        I only have a dynasty 200 so ill tig it. So you say just fill in holes don't run sheet across? And any advice on the door. 188 views 1 response?
        I viewed but I'm not understanding what you need to fill in? The triangle shaped holes on each side of the door? If so I would most likely overlap on the outside. Make the pc. nicely shaped with rounded corners & probably just stitch weld it unless there is some reason it needs to be full welded?
        Last edited by MMW; 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Going on my interpretation of your pictures and data, not familiar with this stern configuration but here goes:

1. Weld brackets to that plate on the seat riser shown in your "hand holding the hinge" picture. Looks like 3/16" Al, the upper end for a 200 amp Dynasty.

2. Bolt a hinge (sorry don't have specific) that allows a 180 degree swing outward, include a latch on the exterior transom to retain the door when it's open.

3. Rivet, not weld, a skin on the open seat bulkhead and seal it well from both sides.

4. Bevel the plated edges and max out your Dynasty to weld up a 1/4" 6061-T6 tread plate, removable box cover for the bottom hatch, marine-grade latch hardware to secure it. Test that hatch before putting it into service since it will bear the weight of humans and their cargo.

Just my hacker-grade .02.
          Last edited by Danarc; 05-09-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by westpoint View Post
            Perhaps if you were a little more clear of what you wish to have done, it might bring in more responses.
            I am unsure of what you are wanting to do so I cannot help.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.