Want to learn tig, decisions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nywelder View Post
    I'm at a cross roads for the diversion 165 and 180. I was leaning towards the 165 but the 180 comes with the foot pedal. Also is there a huge difference between the two I mean they are both 3/16 steel or aluminum machines. Besides the 120 and 240 volt, digital display and foot pedal for the 180. What do you think, is it worth the extra money for a beginner? Decisions, what would you do in my shoes? Thanks again Steve
    If you have the means, get the 180. Having a dual voltage tig, I cart it everywhere. The resale value holds better than the 165 IMO. Like you said, it comes with the pedal, which I guaranty you will purchase.

The big picture though is that you will learn in rapid fashion. These Diversions are so simple.

Good Luck with your decision.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

I would definately recommend spending the extra $400 or so for the Diversion 180 if that is doable for you. The footpedal is worth most of that and the dual voltage lets you practice almost anywhere.

I would also suggest you consider the Thermal Arc line. They have great reviews. I have used 2 of them briefly and was impressed.
      Burt
      Miller Thunderbolt XL
      http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Comment

I made some calls today and the diversion 180 is going to be on rebate until August but the 165 is only till the end of the month which will give me time to save and go the extra for the 180. I have looked into the thermal arc and the lws do not carry there consumables but miller is readily available plus I prefer USA made. So I guess I will wait a little longer. I will keep practicing brazing to hone my skills until I can tig. Thanks for the info Steve

Comment

I think you need to find a different LWS. The TA186 comes with a series 26 air cooled torch. Both Diversions come with a series 17 air cooled torch. Both 17 and 26 series torches use the exact same consumables. If you buy a Thermal Arc just tell the counter guy you have a Diversion and the collets, collet bodies, gas lense, or gas cups they sell you will all fit.

Diversions sell fast when they hit craigs list. A lot of people get one to learn TIG and either decide they don't like TIG or want a unit with more buttons and the Diversion gets flipped.

It's a tough choice, if you are certain you are going to get into TIG I'de go with the Thermal Arc right from the start.

Comment

Want to learn tig, decisions?

I would suggest a hard look at the thermal arc. Although it is manufactured over seas, I believe the diversions are only assembled in the US and sourced over seas as well. On the thermal arc, there are quite a few more options and included accessories not to mention the stick capacity.

Comment

Thermal arc huh, funny I checked out the thermal arc 186 ( couple videos on you tube)and I liked the features and room to learn ( more settings I can learn on) it would be almost the same cost as the diversion 180.
              I do have a stick machine already( lincoln 225 ac) but that doesn't matter. Keep it coming, I'm on the fence. I like the thermal arc 186 argument even if it is a overseas unit:/

Comment

Yeah, I'd say the Thermal Arc 186 is definitely worth looking at. I've been holding back on the Diversion 180 because of the fan noise and the limited features. Just looked at the 186 and going to call my LWS tomorrow for a quote. For a couple hundred more than a 180 I get a ton more features with the 186. Only drawback difference I can see is the dual voltage option on the 180. Yeah, I prefer Blue but Blue ain't been preferring me here; choice is a limited 180 or $5K for a Dynasty or Syncrowave. Sorry Blue.
                ==============
                Miller 211 MVP
                Hobart StickMate LX 235
                Lincoln AC 225
                CutMaster 42

Comment

I really like my Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175. It's been a great machine to learn on. No bells and whistles. Just an amp dial and a three way switch for DCEN, AC, and DCEP. It came with a great pedal, and a standard dinse for the torch. I've also been running a little stick with it too.

Just throwing it out there as another option.
                  Mike Zanconato
                  Zanconato Custom Cycles
                  @mzank on Instagram
                  Dynasty 280DX
                  Meco Midget

Comment

Originally posted by nywelder View Post
                    Thermal arc huh, funny I checked out the thermal arc 186 ( couple videos on you tube)and I liked the features and room to learn ( more settings I can learn on) it would be almost the same cost as the diversion 180.
                    I do have a stick machine already( lincoln 225 ac) but that doesn't matter. Keep it coming, I'm on the fence. I like the thermal arc 186 argument even if it is a overseas unit:/
                    Even though you have a stick welder the TA 186 is a DC stick machine ( better). It also has pulse functions and the ability to change torch sizes.

In my mind the Diversion doesn't come close to the TA 186!!!

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the diversion 165 with a foot pedal. Now I went with the diversion 165 for a few reasons, first I just need to get started with the basics, I can always move into a bigger machine later. 2-I called miller the other day and asked them is this made in the USA and they replied that the inverter is made in Japan or Italy, the torch is china and the rest is made here and assembled in the USA. The diversion 165 was the right price for me at 1250.00 and with the 15% discount it was the comfortable for me and I can get electrodes,filler metal and different accessories. But I will tell you guys I can't thank you enough for the feedback. It was a tough decision and you guys really gave me a lot to think about thank you again Steve .

Comment

I think you did good. We all have our favorites, but it is generally a Ford/Chevy Dodge thing. It looks like an easy machine to learn with.

Comment

Working...
                        X