Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW TO "de-itch" a fiberglass welding blanket

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO "de-itch" a fiberglass welding blanket

I've got a stiener fiberglass welding blanket and I was wondering if anybody has a way to reduce the amount of fibers that fly when I get the blanket out and set it up. In other words I itch like crazy after I use this thing.

wash machine...dryer ....vacuum?????

It's fiberglass, long sleeves & gloves.

Comment

When I was young, my Mom washed some fiberglass curtains, followed by a load of underwear. That was the wrong thing to do.

Comment

Maybe I have to just deal with it..I thought maybe there was a spray or something out there

Comment

fiberglass itch

In my early 20's a buddy of mine bought a house with a junk fiberglass hot tub, like a moron i took my chainsaw to it to get it out! I itched for days, never again do i buy or mess with fiberglass. I use heavy leather blankets, or soak a cotton cloth in water.
          Kevin

Comment

I'm not happy with you guys, I looked at the heading and said
            ( HOT DIGGIDY DOG ) finally a solution to my itchy blankets.

Just to be let down.

I guess I'm the only one smart enouph to have a solution for this problem.

Its called ( Apprentice Work ) HA Ha.

Me and my guys will do almost anything to avoid getting the blankets out.

A man could become a millionair to have a solution to this problem.

Comment

Guys, I have the absolute best way to avoid getting itchy from fiberglass welding blankets.....I dont buy them anymore I suck it up and buy the carbon fiber Steiner blankets. Comfortable enough to use them as a blanket!!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STE...E72?Pid=search

Comment

Never thought much about it. But I guess none of u guys worked much in a body shop. I worked on Corvettes in 70's even did some boat repair.
                We worked with raw Fiberglas & resin, you grind & sand that all day long you gain a new meaning for the word itch. :-(
                Like I was told just toughen up it could be worse.
                Still better than grabbing hot piece metal with hole in glove. :-)

Comment

I seem to always dress more appropriate for working in fiberglass than I do for welding. I guess ever since I was pulling fibers out of my armpits and biceps and forearms for a week after I helped a buddy seam his squirt boat. I've got an old deuce and a half bed cover as a cloth. Super burly canvas but I want a Steiner though.

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitRob View Post
                    Guys, I have the absolute best way to avoid getting itchy from fiberglass welding blankets.....I dont buy them anymore I suck it up and buy the carbon fiber Steiner blankets. Comfortable enough to use them as a blanket!!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STE...E72?Pid=search
                    Yep, me to. Ours are similar and work well. They are not as pliable as the fiberglass. I avoid the fiberglass if possible.

Comment

When I was a kid, I had a summer construction job on a high-rise building. For a week or so, I had to stuff fiberglass around the pipes and ducts that went through the floor slabs. Grab big handfuls, tear it off the roll and pack it in. Not a lot of fun.

Comment

Go over it with a propane weed burner. It will dull the ends of the loose fibers.

Comment

Try one of these... http://store.cyberweld.com/panfelwelbla.html

Comment

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...25-c-10163.htm

just picked one of these up, what a difference between this and the steiner that I was talking about in the thread. almost no loose fibers. I rubbed my hand all over it and had no fibers at all.

the carbon would be nice but, to rich for my blood

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.