Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum I beams

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum I beams

Can any one tell me what size 6061-T6 beams I need for a walkway spanning 24 feet by 36" wide? Thx

Any other supports/truss or will the I beams be the only thing supporting all the weight? Will they be flat or crowned?

Comment

look at an aluminum scaffold pik

Comment

I beams

Originally posted by MMW View Post
        Any other supports/truss or will the I beams be the only thing supporting all the weight? Will they be flat or crowned?
        Supported each end by existing walls. Flat thx

Comment

Originally posted by Pjenks835 View Post
          Supported each end by existing walls. Flat thx
          PS low traffic area office environment

Comment

I'm no engineer but I would think they'd have to be fairly big. 24' no supports. I would think there would be a lot of deflection. If it needs railings you could incorporate a truss system into that. But really a lot of variables. Need a lot more info
            Last edited by cayager; 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM.

Comment

this is really something where the whole picture is needed, design etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                this is really something where the whole picture is needed, design etc.
                Thx guys. My gut tells me it needs a center support. I'll bite the $ bullet and have an engineer spec it.

Comment

Deflection is key

The thing about long beams, and especially aluminum, is the strength is only part of the story. Deflection (sag) is likely the limitation. Even if is is strong enough to be safe, no one will want to walk on it if it sags two inches in the middle.

A typical deflection limit for a live load would be L/360, about 0.8 inches in a 24 foot span. Some architects use lower limits to make the floor feel more substantial. As I understand it, that would be the difference from the no load deflection and the fully loaded case. You would have to figure out the maximum load for the beam, and then calculate the deflection.

Good idea to get an engineer involved. Should save money in the end by preventing overdesign or rework.

Richard

Originally posted by Pjenks835 View Post
                  Can any one tell me what size 6061-T6 beams I need for a walkway spanning 24 feet by 36" wide? Thx

Comment

My guess is a 12" beam that weighs about x 14.29Lb Ft.

This is for 2 beams running parallel with a plank of some type connecting them together on the top side and 2 crossmembers maybe 3 on the bottom.

However, It does not make sense that you would not have a handrail, If the hand rail is done right you could use a much smaller beam.

I'm not a engineer but Its close enouph for quoting the job.

And this is for foot traffic.

Comment

Sounds like your building a pedestian bridge,you will need an engineer and I will guess you will be surprised by all the codes and regulations required to do this right, in the eyes of the law or in our trade AKA insurance companys.but if its privite you may be able to pass under the radar if you dare ,be careful and good luck,it sounds like an interesting job.

Comment

I have designed Skywalks before using both methods.
                        The I beam system gives more options and looks so much better. It does cost more but it depends how much your client is willing to spend. The live load on the walkway will be large as it is going to be installed into an office. Deflection will determine the size of the members without doubt. As the other members suggested and you have come to the opinion this is an engineer project.

Ji
                        Attached Files

Comment

Handrail affecting beam size?

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post

However, It does not make sense that you would not have a handrail, If the hand rail is done right you could use a much smaller beam.
                          I am curious about the handrail affecting the beam size. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a handrail that would have any impact on the size of the beam. Can you show me a photo of an example? I suppose if you had solid sides going from the beam to the handrail, then the handrail would contribute somewhat to affecting the size of the beam, but the solid sides would probably have a larger effect.......

Richard
                          Last edited by raferguson; 05-02-2013, 08:55 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

Comment

See previous post, bottom view where the handrail becomes a truss system to help carry the load.

Comment

Sure you have Raferguson there are examples all round you. The best example I can explain is road bridges, to be more exact 1920 steel hot rivet bridges that look like a mechano set. The side structure is a truss to take the vertical loads and the horizontal structure carries the wind load.
                              Google "Cairo Mississippi River Bridge"

Ji

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.