Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

multimatic 200 welding AL without spool gun

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multimatic 200 welding AL without spool gun

I'm new to welding and got stupid question. Why do you need spool gun for Multimatic 200 to weld aluminum? Cant you put AL wire inside welder and use regular mig handle? Just wondering.

I am no expert but the literature says that aluminum wire, particularly the softer grades will not reliably push though the liner to the gun.(think rat's nest of wire at the feeder) Lincoln feeders have a different design that will feed 3/64" 5356 which is stiffer. They recommend a 10' lead maximum and to keep the lead as straight as possible and my local welding supply recommended to me that if I had more than a very limited amount of stuff to do, just get a spool gun. -Meltedmetal

Comment

I see, it makes sense.
      Thanks

Comment

Melted hit the nail on the head. Another way to go us some power sources can run a push pull gun system where in addition to the main drive system inside the machine, the torch has a small motor and drive wheels to help pull at the gun. Only high end machines can do this though. The advantage of this is to not to have a bulky 4" spool mounted to the gun.

Comment

I dont think a push/pull is an option w/ Zib's machine. It would be nic tho. If hes patient a spool gun will show up on ebay or craigslist for a good price.

Comment

Cant get all the toys at once
            Thanks for help

Comment

I tried to run some alum wire through mm 140 everybody needs to straighten the birds nest of wire where it comes off of the drive roller and enters the liner. You can get by a little while with 5356 but if you ever turn your gun to far you'll find why.

Comment

Wasn't saying he could run a push pull on his multimatic, just explaining the options of running aluminum mig.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.