No announcement yet.

stick welding open root

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90-95 is great man, thats a really good temp to start at. As you get better you can try different stuff. Until you get it how you want it though just do all of the steps the same. If YOU do everything the came everytime and it works then you can try to make it your own and tweek the technique.

Comment

Another thing that helped me was disconnecting my stinger and doing it with out striking up. That can help with keeping your pace the same all the way through the coupon

Comment

Is it just the root giving you problems or is the hot pass too?

Comment

Just getting penetration with these 3/32 electrodes and finding a good temp and speed to work at.

Comment

Hey man my name is David, I went to Missouri Welding Institute, I understand about being ahead and then struggling. I didnt have any problems until I got to overhead plates. Dont get down on yourself. I can shoot you pointers anytime man I love helping people.

Comment

thanks

Pipe is something I'm interested in so it kills me to struggle on this.

Comment

Everything you are doing is preparation for pipe. 1g is the top of the pipe, 3g is going vertical up the side and the bottom is the overhead, just remember the better you are at the plates the easier the pipe will be. You'll do great just stay calm and dont rush it. You have to like what it looks like, you are you biggest critic.. atleast you should be...

Comment

The school I went to all of the instructors had tons of Job experiance and welded tons of hours just to have a chance to teach. Good thing about that for me was that I could reason with someone who had been there and done it before.

Comment

Hit me up anytime, my number is in one of the first messages. Let me know how it goes too. good luck and God bless brother.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

No problem.

Comment

stick welding open root

3/32 6010 at 90-95 amps? Way to hot yo.

Comment

Originally posted by BearM View Post
                            3/32 6010 at 90-95 amps? Way to hot yo.
                            I was wondering about that too.

Millers stick weld calculator shows 40-85A for 6010/6011 3/32" rods. I know you can probably run it hotter and travels faster, but isn't it advised to stay within the specified parameters?

Comment

I know that one problem I had when learning open root was that not really being able to see a puddle bothered me and, for some reason I wasn't PUSHING the rod into the weld far enough...so the instructors were on me to be constantly aware of the need to SHOVE THAT ROD IN THERE and keep shoving it in there!!!! The other thing that, for me anyway, was a great help with getting the rod in far enough to produce a good weld in the gap and get a good fill when you checked out the back side was that one of the instructors said to me that "The sound you get when you have the rod in far enough and are making a good root pass in the gap is like what you'd imagine it to sound like if a horse were peeing in a bucket." Now, I know that sounds like a sort of strange thing to think about when you are welding, but it sure did work for me and my welds improved like RIGHT NOW!!

Good luck and I hope that helps some.
                              Don J
                              Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

amps

I'm running a Lincoln at school and find if I drop my amps below 90 my rod sticks. I'm going to try lowering my amps today and adjusting techniques. And suggestions for how to run on lower amps???

Comment

Working...
                                X