Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

stick welding open root

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stick welding open root

I am in my 3rd week of stick welding and having trouble getting consistent penetration on the bottom side. Instructor has us doing our root pass with 6010 3/32 electrode flat position. Any help or tips?

Are you doing it flat, like tacked to a table in your booth, or flat overhead.... also where are you going to school....

Comment

Oh and which way are you running it. Pulling it to you or away from you....

Comment

Flat position. 2 pieces I guess 1/8 1 inch wide 4 in long. I'm going left to right.

Comment

Give me a call, its easier to explain. 5737052396. Or I can call you

Comment

Everyones sleeping in the house. Had a bad day at school. Going in early tomorrow. Need some tips. I have been ahead of the class and now I'm struggling.

Comment

Ok. So open root 1G. This is how I do it. So I will start with the prep for the weld. First thing I do when I'm testing is clean the whole plate both sides and the bevel and make sure before you put your land on that it is straight.... it super sucks to have an uneven gap.... you need you fit up to be the best it can possibly be for a test.

Comment

After I make sure my plates are **** near perfect I clamp them to somthing and put a 3/32 land on them both then recheck to make sure they are straight. The next thing I do is get a piece of Tig wire fold it into a bend to gap my plates. I also gap it at 3/32.

Comment

Next I lay my plates flat on the table to get it tacked together. The first tack I put in at 3/32. The next I gap at 1/8 in and it usually pulls when I weld it to right at 3/32. Everyones different though...... Dont get in a hurry... is this helping at all... I'll keep going.

Comment

Ya its helpful

Comment

After you have both tacks in flip your plate over and you will need to prep your tacks, basically your grinding them out thata way there is a knife edge on the startup spot and the ending spot. The reason you do this is because if you dont you will have incomplete fusion.

Comment

technique

I'm looking for techniques. I'm.using a Lincoln on DC. I'm not sure if I should sit or stand. Weld right to left or front to back.......

Comment

After you have your tacks ready its time to test.... ask questions... does this gap look good, is my land even, just incase.... two heads are better than one. What temp did you run yours at before I continue.

Comment

I'm trying to find a good temp as a beginner I'm @ about 90-95 amps.

Comment

I keyhole mine I will start out Left and move to the right. When I start out its usually around 95amps. When I starton my tack I make sure as I move ove the edge of the tack that I blow through the part I knife edged. That makes sure that its tied in. After that I use whipping motion to from the left to the right, I just make sure that I watch my weld to insure that the keyhole stays open as you go to the right you look for that keyhole to open up. When it does you move back to the left to put some more of your weld in and just do it at a consistant pace.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.