Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mig gun problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig gun problem

I have a Miller 35s with a Bernard gun. How do I know what model it is. The reason is that the gas nozzle and diffuser I think need to be replaced. The contact tip just started pushing out when I go to weld and it seems that it burns back and welds the tip. I went to clean the nozzle with a plumbing pipe cleaner and cleaned the wrong end. The nozzle seems to have some sort of resin as the insulator and I think it is shorting out. Help !!! Tom

Show a picture of the gun and any adapters that may have been needed to connect the gun to the machine so guys that might know can help you.

Here is Bernards guns and parts

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/.../bernard-guns/

Comment

Not sure how to post pics. The machine is old and the gun is the replacement model and there's no markings other than the name. Would I be able to bring the parts to have matched up. What would cause the burn back to happen as soon as I pull the trigger, when just before I cleaned the wrong end of the nozzle, it worked. Do you think it's shorting out because I cleaned the insulating material away.

Comment

Originally posted by concreteguy View Post
        Not sure how to post pics. The machine is old and the gun is the replacement model and there's no markings other than the name. Would I be able to bring the parts to have matched up. What would cause the burn back to happen as soon as I pull the trigger, when just before I cleaned the wrong end of the nozzle, it worked. Do you think it's shorting out because I cleaned the insulating material away.
        I'm no repair guy concreteguy, I hate to give ideas that could get you hurt or your equipment..... (but if it was me) I would squeeze the trigger with the nozzle
        off and see if it shorts out at the tip. Again the safest way would be to take the gun to your welding supply.... call first. If there is a gun adapter let them know, they may or may not want you to bring it with you so they can match things up.

Comment

Many nozzles are built with insulation between the thread and body. If you can take your torch and nozzle to an LWS, they may be able to match it up for you.

Comment

If you have a Centerfire style gun the nozzle holds the contact tip in place and need to replace or tighten the nozzle.If you have an older style gun with oblong contact tip,1/4? turn tightens the tip into the diffuser,change it out to Centerfire.

Comment

I went to the local welding/gas supply and they matched the diffuser and nozzle. I went and installed them and all seems to be well. It being and old machine-1973- would have hated not to be able to get the parts, It still welds fairly well. At least as good as I can do. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by concreteguy View Post
                I went to the local welding/gas supply and they matched the diffuser and nozzle. I went and installed them and all seems to be well. It being and old machine-1973- would have hated not to be able to get the parts, It still welds fairly well. At least as good as I can do. Thanks for the help
                Glad to hear you got the problem solved. If your happy with the way it welds that's all that counts, a transformer rectifier machine is long lasting. I wish I still had my Regency 250 S22A setup.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.