Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

warping steel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warping steel

I've got a problem with a part we are trying to make.
    It's long thin steel with some nuts welded on it.
    I have a tolerance of 0.5mm.
    And as soon as I take it out of the gig it's over 1 mm out. And it's execentuated down the piece.
    I've tried welding it as cold as pos, doing one small weld at a time with cooling in between.
    Any ideas?

Pre camber the part by placing something under the middle and clamping both ends before you weld it. Might take a part or two to nail it.

Comment

Ditto, if you are a MM out, try starting with a mm camber the opposite way and you should come out straight. Helps if you can let a cool a minute or two before taking out of the jig

Comment

What kind of metal, how long is the work piece, what welding process are you using, how many welds and how close together are they?

Is a product like this large and strong enough to use for your project. I have used my rivet nut set a few times, for my applications they worked fine.

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivet-to...ith-tools.html

Could also try pre heating the piece before you start welding.
        Last edited by tackit; 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Try this stuff. It really does work well on all metals. On the back of the tube says... keeps adjoining metals from distortion, discoloration, warping, cracking, buckling, or blistering caused by welding, brazing or soldering.
          Attached Files

Comment

yep, got a few tubes hanging around, miracle stuff

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.