Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friction tape beater handle grips

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friction tape beater handle grips

I hate slippery grips on larger hammers, especially the smooth fiberglass kind like on the beater in the picture, the friction tape gives added protection when working high too... so's you don't go conking someone on the head with a hammer with your initials on it.

Hockey sticks get the same treatment too I'm told..

Last edited by tackit; 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM.

Great idea, however on some jobsite locations it is illegal to do so. The tape could be covering up a possible crack or split in the handle. Some will not allow a painted handle either. The same holds true for a extension cord or power tool cord , no tape, even if you tape to reinforce the ends.

Comment

While you got the tape out, put a knob on the end. Swing her ten times in row and you'll know if it's slipping before it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
        Great idea, however on some jobsite locations it is illegal to do so. The tape could be covering up a possible crack or split in the handle. Some will not allow a painted handle either. The same holds true for a extension cord or power tool cord , no tape, even if you tape to reinforce the ends.
        I suppose there have been some instances where workers have wrapped a broken handle and causing an accident, but I would bet there are more incidents of heavy hammers flying out of sweaty tired and sore hands while hammering away.

Comment

I have done this for the last 5 or 6 years.. except without the twist in it. I just wrapped the tape nice and neat. But I like your idea with the twists, I think next time I do this I will try it the way you did. Thanks for sharing .)

Comment

I suppose there have been some instances where workers have wrapped a broken handle and causing an accident, but I would bet there are more incidents of heavy hammers flying out of sweaty tired and sore hands while hammering away. [/QUOTE]

I have found that also this helps when you slip up and accidentally hit the handle, where in most cases without any friction tape the handle would crack, but with it the handle is often saved

Comment

Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
              I have done this for the last 5 or 6 years.. except without the twist in it. I just wrapped the tape nice and neat. But I like your idea with the twists, I think next time I do this I will try it the way you did. Thanks for sharing .)
              Your very welcome Weldon, I have gained welding knowledge from your comments too. Sharing ideas and information is what its about....

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.