Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millermatic 140 problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 140 problem

First off, i'll introduce myself. My name is Terry, i live in Eden NY. I work on our family dairy farm and in my spare time i'm either working on motorcyles or out riding.
    Now onto the issue i'm having. I've owned my millermatic 140 for 6 years now and it has worked flawlessly up until last summer. When you start the weld, it acts as though it is not hot enough, you can feel the wire hitting the material. once you get a puddle it will weld just fine. it only does this once in a while, but has been acting up more recently. i checked my ground and ground connections, everything is clean. to rule out a feed problem, i hooked up my spool gun. welded great on the scrap piece i tried, then went to weld the project i was working on and it did the same thing, like its not getting hot enough on the start.
    Anbody have any suggestions?

Is the work piece clean and rust free? If it works fine on one piece of metal and not on another I would suspect that.

Comment

Blow out the mig gun liner. Clean the contact tip or replace it. Also, might want to see if there is some corrosion on the wire. What wire/gas combo are you running? Might be worthwhile to get one of those little pads that cleans and lubes the wire right before it goes into the drive rolls.

Comment

yeah, everything is clean and rust free. it will weld fine one minute and not the next on the same piece. i changed tips and cleaned liner, one of the first things i tried. to rule out a liner issue or wire feed motor issue, i put my spool gun on and it does the same thing.

Comment

I would try and clean the work area and ground point with a grinder. And then wipe down with acetone prior to weld.

Wire? Gas? Do you have a stamped steel crap ground clamp or a brass/copper clamp? Have you checked the lug tightness of the whip and ground connector?

Comment

it's not a ground issue, went through all that when it started acting up, checked all grounds, new good clamp. ground area on piece is always clean. any other ideas what to look for?

Comment

Are you using the same wire all along and maybe ran out and went with another spool that might have been bigger dia wire? Just wondering...Bob

Comment

If it's a 120 volt model maybe the wall outlet needs to be changed, 6 years of use on the same outlet is long time. Clean the plug with some steel wool and blow out the outlet and see if that helps.

Comment

i've only uses .030 wire since i;ve had it, never changed. as far as the wall outlet goes, its in a 45 x60 shop most of the time and gets wheeled around to mutliple outlets. i'll look into it, any other suggestions? i really think its something internal in the welder.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.