Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sq tube rifle rest

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sq tube rifle rest

    Since I have welders and tools and save my small steel I built this rifle rest a couple years back. I didn't like what I saw for around $100 so I decided I would build my own.


    3" sq for the body

    1" NC althread for the height adjusting screw

    Three 1" nuts, one for the height adjusting screw drilled out for 1/2" rods that were silvered in. Some day I would like to shorten the 1/2" rods and silver a ring to them.

    1" solid stock for the legs

    1 1/4" X 1/8 sq tube for the telescopic tube.

    To get the flashing out of the 1 1/4" sq tube I cut a 75 degree angle on a piece of the 1" solid and drove it through the square, it worked like a champ.

    To get the slop out of the 1" althread I welded a 1" nut to the underside of the top plate and with another nut used like a jamb nut, I tightened it until all the slop came out then I tacked it to the welded nut.

    It's heavy the way I wanted it to be. I bought the stock holder from an outfit in Colorado that builds rife rests. I ordered the threaded balls, knobs and feet on line.

    It makes for a good welding project, simple but just as good or maybe even better than one you can buy.

    Dream it, weld it.

    Last edited by tackit; 04-20-2013, 12:20 AM.

  • #2
    Another view with my q78 22 cal pellet rifle

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice job. Now if i can find some ammo...Bob

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        Nice job. Now if i can find some ammo...Bob
        Thanks Bob. The son just bought a new 9MM Glock. They will only sell him two boxes of practice ammo for it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sq tube rifle rest

          Very nice !!!
          Gives me the itch to get back into shooting. Just haven't had time last couple years.
          Thx for sharing that will be on my list to make!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gnforge View Post
            Very nice !!!
            Gives me the itch to get back into shooting. Just haven't had time last couple years.
            Thx for sharing that will be on my list to make!!
            Glad I stirred up the shooting & welding juices gnforge. Have fun, be safe

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tackit View Post
              Glad I stirred up the shooting & welding juices gnforge. Have fun, be safe
              Found some ammo 5 five gallon buckets of it. All NIB...Bob

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                Found some ammo 5 five gallon buckets of it. All NIB...Bob
                What calibers Bob?

                I'm getting ready to load some 9MM since the son bought the Glock. I have some on hand for me but I don't want to run low giving him some of it. Just changed the battery in the powder scale, tomorrow I'll get the Dillon changed over to 9mm.
                Every time Democrats win I'm forced to buy more reloading components.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tackit View Post
                  What calibers Bob?

                  Every time Democrats win I'm forced to buy more reloading components.
                  All calibers. Don't have it sorted yet. I bought and made 5 reloading presses back in the 90's when we went thru this stuff then. I just bought some more presses. Going to build some too now that i have a machine shop to make the rams...Bob

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                    All calibers. Don't have it sorted yet. I bought and made 5 reloading presses back in the 90's when we went thru this stuff then. I just bought some more presses. Going to build some too now that i have a machine shop to make the rams...Bob
                    I'd like to see a few pictures of your presses, when you get time...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                      All calibers. Don't have it sorted yet. I bought and made 5 reloading presses back in the 90's when we went thru this stuff then. I just bought some more presses. Going to build some too now that i have a machine shop to make the rams...Bob
                      Democrats don't seem to understand how knowledgeable, tooled up and inventive folks in the United States are.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nice rest, looks similar to one I made a several years ago. Probably stronger than mine also.

                        The 7mm Magnum I had made scrap out it. The long section looked like a bow and the back stock area bent.

                        I underestimated the force of the recoil. The thought was to be able to shoot one round then set back up where the cross hairs was when the shot went off and adjust the cross hairs to the bullet hole.

                        Never worked, the 7mag knocked the rest all over the table. The more you tried to hold it seems the worse it was.

                        I bet they are sweet for lighter calibers tho. Nice job, one of the best looking one's I've seen.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
                          Nice rest, looks similar to one I made a several years ago. Probably stronger than mine also.

                          The 7mm Magnum I had made scrap out it. The long section looked like a bow and the back stock area bent.

                          I underestimated the force of the recoil. The thought was to be able to shoot one round then set back up where the cross hairs was when the shot went off and adjust the cross hairs to the bullet hole.

                          Never worked, the 7mag knocked the rest all over the table. The more you tried to hold it seems the worse it was.

                          I bet they are sweet for lighter calibers tho. Nice job, one of the best looking one's I've seen.
                          Thanks for the compliment Hardrock40. I have rubber caps that slip over the steel feet but I'm sure a 7MM will move it around. I actually built it heavy for sighting in my high power springer air rifles.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.