Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one own Precision Instrument torque werenches

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any one own Precision Instrument torque werenches

    I need to buy new 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches. Anyone own a Precisian Instruments tool. There are so many cheapies out there it's hard to tell what's a good price for a quality tool. Precision Instruments is made in the USA. I would hope it's a better tool than a relabeled Chinese $30 dollar tool that sells near the price of a Precision Instruments.

  • #2
    I have some nice Craftsman torque wrenches and also I have a unit that fits between the ratchet and socket with remote digital readout on torque. With adapters it can be used on different size drives and reads in different measurements like NM, inch pounds, foot pounds

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by monte55 View Post
      I have some nice Craftsman torque wrenches and also I have a unit that fits between the ratchet and socket with remote digital readout on torque. With adapters it can be used on different size drives and reads in different measurements like NM, inch pounds, foot pounds
      monte, the 1/2" Craftsman only goes to 150 ft lbs, I want 250. I'm replacing Craftsman, I left mine out in the shop all these years and I'm thinking the extreme temp changes is what caused the grease in them to cake up, they were stored in their plastic boxes, they froze up, their handles wouldn't turn.... The new ones are going to be kept in the house.

      Comment


      • #4
        What about the old "beam" style torque wrenches? Not much can go wrong with them, and if the pointer gets out of alignment, you just bend it back...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Helios View Post
          What about the old "beam" style torque wrenches? Not much can go wrong with them, and if the pointer gets out of alignment, you just bend it back...
          My old eyes like the click type of torque wrenches better. Especially in places where there is little light

          Comment


          • #6
            I've read that the beam torque wrenches are more accurate and repeatable than the clickers. Purportedly the top teams all use beam wrenches. I used to have the name of the recommended wrench written down but ****ed if I can find it now.

            Maybe do a search on the SpeedTalk.com forums....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tackit View Post
              I need to buy new 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches. Anyone own a Precisian Instruments tool. There are so many cheapies out there it's hard to tell what's a good price for a quality tool. Precision Instruments is made in the USA. I would hope it's a better tool than a relabeled Chinese $30 dollar tool that sells near the price of a Precision Instruments.
              Look on eBay at CDI. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-TORQUE-W...item1e568a62cf

              and http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-TORQUE-W...item20c30c867c

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GT6Steve View Post
                I've read that the beam torque wrenches are more accurate and repeatable than the clickers. Purportedly the top teams all use beam wrenches. I used to have the name of the recommended wrench written down but ****ed if I can find it now.

                Maybe do a search on the SpeedTalk.com forums....
                In theory they are but in tight places and where there is no light it's not easy to read a beam. I like a clicker because I set it and forget it, that's why I want good ones.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I wish I had seen your post earlier cope, I would have saved a few bucks. I'm going to try and cancel my order.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Snap On digitals are great I have the full set.

                    Ji

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tackit View Post
                      In theory they are but in tight places and where there is no light it's not easy to read a beam. I like a clicker because I set it and forget it, that's why I want good ones.
                      tackit, the micrometer type torque wrenches need to be set back to zero after each use to keep their accuracy. I think you meant set it and forget it while in use, just wanted to be sure.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cope View Post
                        tackit, the micrometer type torque wrenches need to be set back to zero after each use to keep their accuracy. I think you meant set it and forget it while in use, just wanted to be sure.
                        I didn't know that Cope. Thank you for the tip, it's much appreciated.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
                          Snap On digitals are great I have the full set.

                          Ji
                          Jigantor I think CDI is Snap On. I doubt I could afford their digital torque wrenches. G'day mate to all you Aussies, nice to have you on the board.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Take a close look at the CDI wrenches in the link. Note that the 3/8" only goes to 21.8 ft/ lbs (250 in/lbs).

                            I recently needed to replace some 20+ year old torque wrenches and, after a lot of looking, I found the digital torque wrenches on the Eastwood.com site. The accuracy specs are excellent compared to others plus they have the 72 tooth ratchet vs about half that for most others. I bought one for my son for Christmas. I will be using it in a couple of weeks to replace the head gasket on his car. Then I will know how good it is. At this point, I can only say that I have been very satisfied with everything that I have purchased from Eastwood and I have high hopes for the torque wrench.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by davido30093 View Post
                              Take a close look at the CDI wrenches in the link. Note that the 3/8" only goes to 21.8 ft/ lbs (250 in/lbs).

                              I recently needed to replace some 20+ year old torque wrenches and, after a lot of looking, I found the digital torque wrenches on the Eastwood.com site. The accuracy specs are excellent compared to others plus they have the 72 tooth ratchet vs about half that for most others. I bought one for my son for Christmas. I will be using it in a couple of weeks to replace the head gasket on his car. Then I will know how good it is. At this point, I can only say that I have been very satisfied with everything that I have purchased from Eastwood and I have high hopes for the torque wrench.
                              Dave I want a in/lb torque wrench for small bolts going into aluminum. The Eastwoods are nice wrenches, if they made a in/lb torque wrench I would consider them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.