No announcement yet.

1st home machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 percent ARGON is what you want for most TIG, especially aluminum. When I am doing anything in stainless that I don't want to sugar up on the back side, I also use argon for both the sides. That produces a good looking, strong weld on BOTH sides of (especially thin) stuff like exhaust headers/pipes where you want minimum interference with the gas flow inside the tubing and anywhere you want to minimize the possibility of cracking. It is pretty easy to make/use a rig to evacuate the pipe or other kinds of pieces to keep the ambient atmosphere away from the weld during the (pretty short) time required to get a good weld on both sides.

PS...I have used welding equipment (actually the same machine) on both 110 and 230 volts and I would say that any of them seem to weld better and are just "happier" on the 230 (208, 230, 240...whatever you have available). If it were me putting in a line specifically to support a welding machine, I would put in the 230 if I had ANY choice vs. the 110. Also, I would put in a MINIMUM of a 50 amp breaker, because if you do any amount of TIG welding on thicker aluminum, it will amaze you how much current it takes! If I go to do like 1/4 or 3/8 inch on a larger area piece of aluminum with my TIG machine and forget to move it from the 30 Amp to the 50 Amp line (breaker and conductor size limited) I will pretty much always blow the 30 amp breaker, but if it is on the 50 amp line, I have yet to blow that.....
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Working...
    X