Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Love my Millermatic 35S but...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love my Millermatic 35S but...

Is there any way to get more wirespeed out of it? Seems like I have it cranked on only the second or third power setting and that's it.....it makes some killer welds but high voltage is out of the question I guess because I can't feed more wire....

I have had quite a few 35's and don't remember wire feed being an issue...Bob

Comment

I have it cranked at 100 with .035 and c25.....seems like it's running slow....I can easily get ahead of myself....it welds beautiful but slow...

Comment

Is it possible that the wire speed is semi relative to the voltage on this old machine? It has the plug in voltage selection(not a knob).....I haven't tried it on anything more than the 3rd voltage setting and it felt like with the wire speed maxed out it was "almost" enough.....is this adjustable?
        Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
        I have it cranked at 100 with .035 and c25.....seems like it's running slow....I can easily get ahead of myself....it welds beautiful but slow...

Comment

The wire speed is controlled by the voltage tap. The higher the volts, the faster the wire speed. The wire speed on that is the fine adjustment

Comment

Does the motor get hot? If so you may need to pull the transmission apart and regrease.

Comment

Put some .030 wire in it and you will see a big difference...Bob

Comment

I agree with bob. My mm180 doesn't even like .035. I always use .030 with good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
                  I agree with bob. My mm180 doesn't even like .035. I always use .030 with good results.
                  My MM185 doesn't like .035 either and the specs for the 185 and 35 are about equal...Bob

Comment

Love my Millermatic 35S but...

Yes bob may be correct. My hobart e-z 125 flux core runs .030 much smoother, you are the adjustment for.035.just takes patience. And sometimes for really thin weird composition alloy tubing, I even feed in some deglazed 7018 rod as a consumable to beef up the puddle and reduce the heat. Sometimes you just have to toy around with it. Dave

Comment

I haven't heard of deglazed 7018 wire, what is it? You sparked my curiosity.

Comment

I haven't heard of deglazed 7018 wire, what is it? You sparked my curiosity.
                        I think he is talking about a 7018 rod with the coating ground off with a wire wheel...Bob

Comment

How can this be used with mig then?

Comment

He's referring to TIG MIG haha.....who even does that?
                            How can this be used with mig then?

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                              that MM 35 is only a 150 amp welder try running 0.30 wire i had a Hobart Handler 187 it welded liked a dream with 0.30 wire on it, it did not like 0.35 wire

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.