240v engine drive receptacle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240v engine drive receptacle

I just don't get it. The engine drive also has the four blade receptacle. I have not used that fourth blade in any configuration. What is it for and when would you need it?

I am making extension cords for the 211 and dynasty, they don't use it so should I just ignore it on the engine drive also?
    Attached Files

Yep. Those are 14-50R and I made an adapter to go from 14-50 to 6-50. I have all my machines running a 6-50 on single phase 240v. Just find the two hots and the ground. The 4th is a neutral. If you run 4-wire SO cord you can make a little portable subpanel and break out a 115v circuit to run a grinder or something. I don't know about the code supporting that use, but who knows. 240v runs all the power through the hots and the ground wire is just there in case there is a ground fault. That way the electricity can go somewhere intentional.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

"If you run 4-wire SO cord you can make a little portable subpanel and break out a 115v circuit to run a grinder or something."

Ahhh, so that make's sense. Very good, thank you.

Comment

As I understand it the 4th lug is used as the common/white for a 115 circuit. It was put there due to the newer appliances needing a 115 circuit as well as a 240 circuit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

You can make yer own adapter or buy one

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770674-.../dp/B003J8NMF0

Miller also has a version but more $

the 14-50 receptacles also make feeding power to your house a lot easier
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Glad I could help. I cost me about $40 to make a 6ft conversion extension with 8ga. I had the the same day for abnout the same cost as oljne and no shiping. Whenever I take my welder to a new place with a different outlet I test the outlet and the make an adapter cord. It works well.
            MillerMatic 251
            Maxstar 150 STH
            Cutmaster 42
            Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

If you have a rv place close they have some good 50 amp adapters 4 to 3 prong .

Comment

Originally posted by Kpack View Post
                If you have a rv place close they have some good 50 amp adapters 4 to 3 prong .
                Those usually only provide 120 power from the 14-50 receptacle because there isn't anything on an Rv that is 3 wire 240v.

They us the adapters for rigs that are 30 amp 120v but want to or need to use a 14-50 receptacle
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Yes I didn't think about that . I usually make up my own on the welder . I forgot those rvs are from 50 amp to 30amp 120 v .

Comment

Working...
                  X