Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

240v engine drive receptacle

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240v engine drive receptacle

I just don't get it. The engine drive also has the four blade receptacle. I have not used that fourth blade in any configuration. What is it for and when would you need it?

I am making extension cords for the 211 and dynasty, they don't use it so should I just ignore it on the engine drive also?
    Attached Files

Yep. Those are 14-50R and I made an adapter to go from 14-50 to 6-50. I have all my machines running a 6-50 on single phase 240v. Just find the two hots and the ground. The 4th is a neutral. If you run 4-wire SO cord you can make a little portable subpanel and break out a 115v circuit to run a grinder or something. I don't know about the code supporting that use, but who knows. 240v runs all the power through the hots and the ground wire is just there in case there is a ground fault. That way the electricity can go somewhere intentional.

Comment

"If you run 4-wire SO cord you can make a little portable subpanel and break out a 115v circuit to run a grinder or something."

Ahhh, so that make's sense. Very good, thank you.

Comment

As I understand it the 4th lug is used as the common/white for a 115 circuit. It was put there due to the newer appliances needing a 115 circuit as well as a 240 circuit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Comment

You can make yer own adapter or buy one

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770674-.../dp/B003J8NMF0

Miller also has a version but more $

the 14-50 receptacles also make feeding power to your house a lot easier

Comment

Glad I could help. I cost me about $40 to make a 6ft conversion extension with 8ga. I had the the same day for abnout the same cost as oljne and no shiping. Whenever I take my welder to a new place with a different outlet I test the outlet and the make an adapter cord. It works well.

Comment

If you have a rv place close they have some good 50 amp adapters 4 to 3 prong .

Comment

Originally posted by Kpack View Post
                If you have a rv place close they have some good 50 amp adapters 4 to 3 prong .
                Those usually only provide 120 power from the 14-50 receptacle because there isn't anything on an Rv that is 3 wire 240v.

They us the adapters for rigs that are 30 amp 120v but want to or need to use a 14-50 receptacle

Comment

Yes I didn't think about that . I usually make up my own on the welder . I forgot those rvs are from 50 amp to 30amp 120 v .

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.