Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to tig welding diversion 180

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to tig welding diversion 180

So I took advantage of the build with blue promotion and picked up a diversion 180. I have experience mig welding but none with tig. After setting up the welder and trying it out I can't seem to get a puddle to form. Just trying to run an arc. Not sure if its a gas issue. I have the regulator set to 20. I have a pic of piece that I was trying to practice on. Any info on how to correct this or where to start is appreciated
    Attached Files

Gas?

What gas are you using?

Richard

Comment

Looks like your not running argon.

Comment

Im running argon. It's the same bottle I use for mig welding. I have a spare bottle that I can try to see if there's a difference. I noticed it says dip tube on the one tank would that make a difference? Wondering if actually got given dip tube at bottle exchange.

Comment

Uhhh, yeah wrong gas!! Unlikely your running straight Argon Mig welding. More likely its a C-25.

Comment

Unless you mig weld aluminum with that gas, it looks like the wrong gas for tig welding. The black sooty mess is a tell tale sign. 100% argon for mig welding aluminum. Argon/co2 blended gas for mig welding steel. 100% argon for tig welding.
            Couple other questions. What material are you trying to weld on? How do you have the welder set?
            Last edited by snoeproe; 04-11-2013, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Did your machine come with an owners manual? You should read it.

Comment

just went and checked the gas it 75% argon 25% co2. What would you guys recommend should I get another bottle of 100% argon or is it ok to swap the mixed bottles (have 2) to 100% argon would they be ok for mig welding. The majority of welding I will do is steel. If this is ok I can save a few bucks.

Comment

Make one bottle pure argon. No one gas will work for both. Tig needs argon or helium. Mig aluminum needs argon, mig steel CO2 or argon mix of some type. SS argon mix.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go swap one of my bottles out for pure argon and go from there. I might invest in another bottle down the road I loved having that spare for late nights or weekends when LWS are closed. Nothing worse than running out of gas.

Comment

Got the 100% argon hooked up. What a difference. Appreciate the help. Now time to get practicing.

Comment

How are you doing with your Diversion 180? I bought one the same time as you. My first TIG. I'm sort of disappointed with mine, a beautiful machine for body work, not enough duty cycle for aluminum.I've now backed it up with a Dialarc 250 HF an old transformer machine water cooled. It never gets tired! I think it would last till the bottle is empty.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.