Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to mig welding some opinion on some test pieces.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey heavy,

Another good project after the table is a welding cart. Artwork can be fun and lucrative if you do it right. I have seen some cool lamps and coffee tables made from old farm and automotive parts. The great thing about welding is the freedom to make almost anything. Also, now that you have a welder don't you need a plasma? I have a lead on where you could get a used one. PM if you're interested.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
      OK let's try this... you need one of these. See picture

Nice Table!

Comment

Hi all. I made a couple of more runs pulled out the best looking ones to show. The test piece at the top was just a straight run pushing from right to left the one at the bottom was my attempt at doing "cursive "E" but it look...well let's be honest it look kind of "rough" .

Click image for larger version

Name:	16ga.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	515682Click image for larger version

Name:	16ga 2.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	515683

Oh I did not have any more 1/8 steel so this was done using 16ga @ 3.5v 29ws
        Last edited by Heavychevy; 04-13-2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Looks better. The weave bead has plenty of heat and from the pictures I would say it is a good weld. The second had less heat. Something that might help is to be as comfortable as possible when learning. The cursive bead would look great if it was consistent. Keep up the good work!
          MillerMatic 251
          Maxstar 150 STH
          Cutmaster 42
          Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
            Hey heavy,

Another good project after the table is a welding cart. Artwork can be fun and lucrative if you do it right. I have seen some cool lamps and coffee tables made from old farm and automotive parts. The great thing about welding is the freedom to make almost anything. Also, now that you have a welder don't you need a plasma? I have a lead on where you could get a used one. PM if you're interested.
            All great tips, I really appreciate the help! As for the plasma cutter you are right again I would love to get one. As a matter of fact after my tax refund it was either get a new welder or keep my old Lincoln 100 HD and but a Plasma. Since I am currently unemployed as of the first of this month (April 1st got to love the humor in some employers ) money will be extra tight until I can gain employment again. When I do a plasma will be top of my list!

Comment

I completely understand. I have been unemployed since the 1st of december. I have been picking up side work to stay busy. I'll be back into gainful employment in a week or so. Keep to it. Welding is a addiction. Have fun!
              MillerMatic 251
              Maxstar 150 STH
              Cutmaster 42
              Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

New pieces

Same as before 1/8th flat stock, 035 wire, wire speed 55, voltage 5, 75/25 gas using my MM211.

Test piece 1,2,3,5 and 6 was done using the "U" motion
                Test Piece 4 was using a circular motion and Test piece 7 is a left to right motion ( I would start forward (starting left) then back up. I would do this procedure until I reached the end.)

I have tried doing cursive "E's" with just no luck (it just look bad) but doing "U", "Circular" and "back and forth" seem to work out very well for me. Also I seem to be getting better at tweaking my welder settings even getting the "bacon frying" to sound better but I'm still working on getting it to sound more crisp which is turning into an interesting challenge.

Still loving the **** out of this welder!Click image for larger version

Name:	test piece 1.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	515706Click image for larger version

Name:	test piece 2.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	515707Click image for larger version

Name:	test piece 3.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	515708Click image for larger version

Name:	test piece 4.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	515709Click image for larger version

Name:	test piece 5.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	515710

Comment

Originally posted by Heavychevy View Post
                  Same as before 1/8th flat stock, 035 wire, wire speed 55, voltage 5, 75/25 gas using my MM211.

Test piece 1,2,3,5 and 6 was done using the "U" motion
                  Test Piece 4 was using a circular motion and Test piece 7 is a left to right motion ( I would start forward (starting left) then back up. I would do this procedure until I reached the end.)

I have tried doing cursive "E's" with just no luck (it just look bad) but doing "U", "Circular" and "back and forth" seem to work out very well for me. Also I seem to be getting better at tweaking my welder settings even getting the "bacon frying" to sound better but I'm still working on getting it to sound more crisp which is turning into an interesting challenge.

Still loving the **** out of this welder![ATTACH]32255[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32256[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32257[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32258[/ATTACH][ATTACH]32259[/ATTACH]
                  Here is file 6 and 7 (did not know there was a 5 file cap)

Click image for larger version

Name:	test piece 6.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	515711Click image for larger version

Name:	test piece 7.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	515712

Comment

Working...
                  X