Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

E3 tungsten

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E3 tungsten

Ok so i was at the LWS and they were out of ceriated;( The salesman really talked this stuff up. so whos used e3 and what were the results? I purchased some and have yet to light one up

It spits less for me on high (for my machine and 3/32 tungsten) amp AC. The ball seems to be more stable.

Haven't tried it on DC yet. But will definitely shift to all purple on AC.

Comment

E3 tungsten

I've ordered some E3 from my local Airgas store.... Can't wait to try it!

Comment

My LWS sold me what they called Rare Earth tungsten, not sure if this is the same as E3, however it was less expensive, has very good arc starting and tip life. HERE is a site for the E3 tungsten.

Comment

Sales guy talked em up pretty good at my lws, so I bit. Not impresseed one bit. I run a old transformer machine tho so they may be great on a inverter. I thought they sucked to be honest. Red, green or orange for me still!

Comment

E3 tungsten

Yesturday my LWS said there already starting to discontinue, there is some he can't reorder now. Bought my 1st E3, but he said they work fine with inverter machines. Time will tell?

Comment

The e3 is basically just 1.5% lanth. Why spend the extra coin. I priced it out from them and I was not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                The e3 is basically just 1.5% lanth. Why spend the extra coin. I priced it out from them and I was not impressed.
                Correct.

From what I have seen it is chemical composition: 98.34% W + 1.5% La 2 O3 +.08% ZrO2 + .08% Y2o3.

2% lanthanum quite frankly is just as good or better for AC, and miles better on DC to reduce tip erosion. But for DC, and long tip life, nothing is as good as 2% thoriated IMO.

My go to tungstens are blue for AC, and red for DC. You can find both in 1/8" for less than $35 per pack of 10.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.