Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to mig welding some opinion on some test pieces.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New to mig welding some opinion on some test pieces.

    Hi all as the title implies I would like some opinion on some test pieces I welded together using 1/8 inch steel. First off I would like to say I welded off and on for a few years but only flux core welding using my 115 volt Lincoln Electric Weld-Pak 100 HD. I found out quickly that mig welding for me is truly different (especially with 230v). Anyway I welded two pieces using my Millermatic 211 MVP I got about 2 weeks ago and would like some thoughts to improve.



    The settings I used was the factory suggesting setting under 230v for 1/8 steel of 65 (Wirespeed) 4.5 (Voltage). The piece to the right I tinkered with at 50 (Wirespeed) and 5 (Voltage).

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    So it looks like c25 gas with .030 wire?

    The left one you could probably move a little faster to flatten out the bead a bit. I like to do cursive "e" pattern and just let the puddle lick the top edge of the top piece. I usually like to push but on small stuff I don't think it really matters.
    Get yourself a six-pack, practice some more and post some more pics. I'd say you're off to a good start!

    So what are you going to do with your new welder? Now you need one of these... see attached picture
    Last edited by elvis; 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good to read.

      http://www.nhml.com/defective-welds-...inspection.cfm
      Last edited by tackit; 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by elvis View Post
        So it looks like c25 gas with .030 wire?

        The left one you could probably move a little faster to flatten out the bead a bit. I like to do cursive "e" pattern and just let the puddle lick the top edge of the top piece. I usually like to push but on small stuff I don't think it really matters.
        Get yourself a six-pack, practice some more and post some more pics. I'd say you're off to a good start!

        So what are you going to do with your new welder? Now you need one of these... see attached picture
        Sorry I knew I was going to forget something as important as gas and wire size . Yes you are correct 030 wire and75 argon 25 C02 gas.

        Not sure what I'm going to do yet I figure I start off small like a new welding table and work my way up may be slow going as soon as I got my welder I was laid off from my job (irony but no regrets on getting the welder!)

        I tried to see your attachment but I don't see anything?

        Oh and thanks for the tip!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tackit View Post
          Thanks!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm on my tablet. I'll try from home later tonight. Also check out weldingtipsandtrick.com. Jodi knows his $#!t

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by elvis View Post
              I'm on my tablet. I'll try from home later tonight. Also check out weldingtipsandtrick.com. Jodi knows his $#!t
              Thanks! Also I'm quite familar with weldingtipsandtricks and you are right. Jody's an endless supply of knowledge and he's blunt, no BS cut straight to the chase that is what I like about him!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Heavychevy View Post
                Thanks! Also I'm quite familar with weldingtipsandtricks and you are right. Jody's an endless supply of knowledge and he's blunt, no BS cut straight to the chase that is what I like about him!
                I like his videos too. I even bought a tig finger to try out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK let's try this... you need one of these. See picture
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by elvis View Post
                    OK let's try this... you need one of these. See picture
                    Nice job on the welding table elvis.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by elvis View Post
                      OK let's try this... you need one of these. See picture
                      I like your idea of splitting the plates apart in the middle to make room for a clamp.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tackit View Post
                        Nice job on the welding table elvis.
                        Thanks! I have since cleaned up the dross from plasma cutting the pieces. I use the table almost every day. Absolutely the greatest thing. I do wish that I would have gone thicker. I think I'll build my next one out of 3/4 and possible go CRS. The clamp slot in the middle is about 2 inches wide and will take almost any clamp. It is AWESOME. Name:  12eae1fec40f560a774e35c1faf6f0d2.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  62.2 KB Building a tube bender and I had it clamped to the table to keep it straight while it was cooling after welding the pieces together.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Nice Table!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by elvis View Post
                            Thanks! I have since cleaned up the dross from plasma cutting the pieces. I use the table almost every day. Absolutely the greatest thing. I do wish that I would have gone thicker. I think I'll build my next one out of 3/4 and possible go CRS. The clamp slot in the middle is about 2 inches wide and will take almost any clamp. It is AWESOME. Name:  12eae1fec40f560a774e35c1faf6f0d2.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  62.2 KB Building a tube bender and I had it clamped to the table to keep it straight while it was cooling after welding the pieces together.
                            I like how you have space in between the adjustment holes, the benders I've seen similar to yours look like the holes are almost touching each other. The frame looked like it wouldn't hold up with regular use.


                            Just something to look at, It's bender I made for HF dies.

                            http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/ta...small%20bender
                            Last edited by tackit; 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tackit:305702
                              Originally posted by elvis View Post
                              Thanks! I have since cleaned up the dross from plasma cutting the pieces. I use the table almost every day. Absolutely the greatest thing. I do wish that I would have gone thicker. I think I'll build my next one out of 3/4 and possible go CRS. The clamp slot in the middle is about 2 inches wide and will take almost any clamp. It is AWESOME. Name:  12eae1fec40f560a774e35c1faf6f0d2.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  62.2 KB Building a tube bender and I had it clamped to the table to keep it straight while it was cooling after welding the pieces together.
                              I like how you have space in between the adjustment holes, the benders I've seen similar to yours look like the holes are almost touching each other. The frame looked like it wouldn't hold up with regular use.


                              Just something to look at, It's bender I made for HF dies.

                              http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/ta...small%20bender
                              The picture album link didn't work? ill try from a computer tomorrow.

                              The bender is made with laminated 1/4" to make a 1/2" thick on each side. The holes are pretty close together but that is limited to the design of jd2 dies. The plans came from plasma spider. If this proves to be too light I will recut it with 3/8 sheet and make sure you cut all the holes with an annular cutter instead of plasma for better tolerance. I'll post a picture tomorrow of the painted final version. I also should post up the smoker I'm building.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.