Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what new tool are you saving up for

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what new tool are you saving up for

I'm saving up for an Extech 250 Borescope. Something I can do without but pocket change, birthday money and Fathers Day cash will make it less of a hit....

The Extech 250 comes with accessories and it's optional camera sizes go all the way down to 4.5 MM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exEA7ZnZq-Q

http://www.extech-online.com/index.p...roducts_id=148

I like the Dewalt too.

I want a 175 Ton Press brake x 10' with dies.

I've got $ 100.00 saved for it, Now I just need to cauph up another 25 - 30 thousand for a pretty good used one.

Comment

First on the list is a mag drill with annular cutters in most common sizes. Then a powermax 85. Once I get those cheap things out of the way I'll start building a cnc table to hook the 85 up to.

Portable- You remind me that I'm just working towards a few "cheap" tools to make my life a little easier. Good luck with the press brake. Oh, and did you get your shear working yet?

Comment

Portable Welder, they say they are affordable. http://www.fab-line.com/

Comment

Elvis, here's my small CS Unitech mag drill, I used it to build my shop press, for what I get into the smaller version is plenty of drill for me. I think I paid around $525 for it brand new back 2003. Unitech gave me 10 or 15 % off on the cutters. I wouldn't be without one now.

Comment

more photos

Comment

Yep. I was looking at a hougan mag setup for about $850 total. I need a press and was looking at building something like yours, which is the major impetus for a mag drill. I'm building a tube bender right now and I could really use an annular cutter for some of these holes. I'm about to just go buy one. But it isn't worth it right now to put it on the cc. Need to pay cash.

Is that 1x3 CRS for the uprights? About 6 feet tall?

How does that drill perform for you? Any issues or complaints?

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                Yep. I was looking at a hougan mag setup for about $850 total. I need a press and was looking at building something like yours, which is the major impetus for a mag drill. I'm building a tube bender right now and I could really use an annular cutter for some of these holes. I'm about to just go buy one. But it isn't worth it right now to put it on the cc. Need to pay cash.

Is that 1x3 CRS for the uprights? About 6 feet tall?

How does that drill perform for you? Any issues or complaints?
                elvis the 1X5 steel legs are not CRS but the 7" channel for the platen is. I bought the 1 X 5x 74" legs and the .314 X 7" channel from a scrap yard for $245 back in 2003. I cut a channel in half to make the feet.

better pic of the legs and holes

Last edited by tackit; 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

That is a nice setup. It will cost me about double your steel costs for all the 1x4 crs that i will need. The motor, pump and valve will be the big ticket costs for my build. hopefully I'll have the cash flow this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                    That is a nice setup. It will cost me about double your steel costs for all the 1x4 crs that i will need. The motor, pump and valve will be the big ticket costs for my build. hopefully I'll have the cash flow this summer.
                    yeah I hear on the steel costs, I think I paid around $350 for my hand pump and cylinder. Bought it from a sister store of Carolina Equipment as I recall.

Comment

what new tool are you saving up for

Plasma cutter

Comment

There is a place in greenwood del, called billy warren and son. It is a welder/fabricators heaven. They sell new and used stainless, steel, aluminum stock, Wilton, jet, starrett, and lots of other name brand tools,welding rods, grinding wheels, pipe and pipe fittings, weld on d rings etc... They are also in the scrap business so they buy out big plants and machine shops etc... You can walk around this place for a week and still not see it all. They also can cut whatever length of metal you need with no cut charge. I have been going there for more than 15 yrs and every time I go I usually drive away with more than I intended

Comment

Nice press tackit....Bob

Comment

I am making an adaptor to use the hougan type cutters in my drill press. They are more accurate than a hole saw...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster:305538
                              I am making an adaptor to use the hougan type cutters in my drill press. They are more accurate than a hole saw...Bob
                              You know they already make one? There's one in my MSc metalworking catalog

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.