Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for a buddy looking to weld on the side....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for a buddy looking to weld on the side....

This is kind of a tricky one. My buddy has his own condo so he can't weld there. He has a barn at his parents but it doesn't have good enough power for a welder and his father doesn't want him to wire it up for welding. So....basically he wants to MIG weld with a budget. He went to WTTI but realistically only TIG welds for a living now. It's probably 150 feet to the barn so a 110v extension cord is outta the question. Is it within reason to run say a Hobart/Miller 140 or 180 amp mig off of a medium sized generator? It wouldn't be used all the time but for side projects. If so any recommendations for a decent generator that won't break the bank? He is looking to get into it with a welder, generator(or other suggestion) and a couple of tools for under $2000. I'll be helping him with the projects and such and I know a 140 amp machine will be enough although it may require a little extra work. Thanks for any replies. Dave

Dave where abouts in jersey are you? Joe

Comment

I'm in Hazlet......my buddy is in bedminster
      Originally posted by JMK WELDING View Post
      Dave where abouts in jersey are you? Joe

Comment

Im in Lincoln Park a little far. Your friend needs a generator that is cv/cc otherwise the welder even like a millermatic 140 wont perform correctly. Small generators will have a power surge. He would need to know what welder he is buying and match it to a genny. Better yet he should go to a welding supply center and ask them.

Comment

He could look into getting a used Bobcat or Trailblazer(or other engine drive) and be stick welding right from the start and have power for power tools. He could add a spoolgun later for MIG off the BC/TB too, they can also be equiped to TIG. Then he could go where ever he wanted to and weld. No need for seperate welder and genset, it's an all in one machine.

Comment

Did your buddy ever make a decision about any of these suggestions?

Comment

I can vouch for Northern generators... I have two of them powered by 16HP Vanguard engines, they have been reliable machines for about 7 years or better. I replaced their motorcycle batteries with auto batteries and battery boxes from NAPA. They always start during the winter now. I keep a trickle charge on them all winter just to be safe . I just started one of them yesterday to give it some running time.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ble-generators

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.