Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Tig and new to Miller.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New to Tig and new to Miller.

    I recently purchased a diversion 180 and i think it will do everything i need it to do. I am new to Tig welding and i am new to welding with a proper welder not the 80$ from pep boys. So i probably have some bad habits that i gained from fighting the cheap wire flux welder.

    Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated. Before tackling the welding cart, i played around on aluminum and was having an awful time.

    Name:  984c9059fde016d6a488442b9e11a577.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  99.8 KB

    Name:  e06d2aa1a30e4593276ab9d4211a96a7.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  112.6 KB

    Name:  8191c61b4c62b759c171d78703ee2038.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  118.6 KB

    Name:  0967b3c81fa69e51bacd5468438efb76.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  128.7 KB

    Name:  7279930a28f72e351ca5fe9d5705d8a7.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  123.6 KB

    It looks like i can only attach 5 pictures per post so i guess ill keep this thread as a log
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 04-08-2013, 01:18 PM.

  • #2
    Name:  17cad1c4036ce0ec2671866f5f94321c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  107.8 KB

    I got a smoking deal on this package thanks miller!
    Name:  7b7827406059c9048c075f1ef8c4e3d4.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  123.1 KB

    steel for the cart
    Name:  9302a24b91f64a68afb30470208047dd.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  146.6 KB

    welder holder
    Name:  f5eab7e9c4c6ed2a95a24095f40fd18e.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  89.6 KB

    Rough mock up
    Name:  9002872780a750f9296545bc74f40df5.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  156.3 KB

    Comment


    • #3






      also installed the 250v plug for the welder to get that extra amperage when the time comes lol

      Comment


      • #4
        What a great machine.
        Looks like your aluminium welding is coming along nicely.
        Every new welder starts that way.
        Let us know what all your settings are, filler, and torch sizes and we can help.
        Aluminium is fun to weld when you get to know it abit better.

        Ji

        Comment


        • #5
          Those beads don't look that bad for first beads. You just need to work on your rhythm of feeding filler and torch movement. You will improve, all it takes is practice.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
            What a great machine.
            Looks like your aluminium welding is coming along nicely.
            Every new welder starts that way.
            Let us know what all your settings are, filler, and torch sizes and we can help.
            Aluminium is fun to weld when you get to know it abit better.

            Ji
            Thanks jig,

            Since its a diversion 180 im not sure what settings you mean? its set to AC, and the amp is by the chart on the machine. Tungsten was at first the wrong one i was using 2% thoriated and not the pure tung. So the first ones were me fighting that. all have been 3/32" for both tung and filler rod.

            I gotta practice more on my aluminum but i have been welding up my cart for the machine.

            Originally posted by ChuckS View Post
            Those beads don't look that bad for first beads. You just need to work on your rhythm of feeding filler and torch movement. You will improve, all it takes is practice.
            Thats exactly it i dont seem to be consistent.

            btw heres some new pictures







            I cant wait to start building turbo manifolds and intake manifolds

            btw heres a video of my 87 bmw with a baby turbo on it

            again any comments or tips are greatly appreciated!

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrbNm08LdLY

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgxMMIOgk4

            Comment


            • #7
              Try a sharpened 2% lanthinated tungsten. The tungsten and filler rod size is correct for practice. Gas you are using, gas flow?
              Are you cleaning the surface of your practise coupon to remove oxide?
              What type of Ali is the coupon?
              What type of filler are you using?

              Ji

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
                Try a sharpened 2% lanthinated tungsten. The tungsten and filler rod size is correct for practice. Gas you are using, gas flow?
                Are you cleaning the surface of your practise coupon to remove oxide?
                What type of Ali is the coupon?
                What type of filler are you using?

                Ji


                Ill keep the lanthinated in mind, just bought 20 tung (10 each) so i kinda wanna hold off on that.

                Im using straight argon between 12-20 cfm depending on what im doing trying to save a little gas on somethings.

                i have a ss brush for each material to clean.

                Ali idk what ever the store had, and filler i forget i will have to check tonight when i finish up the cart.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That should be CFH not cfm.
                  What size torch ?

                  Always ask your supplier what series the ali is as 2000 series is not easy to weld try and get 5000 or 6000 if you can.

                  The ali is clean when it shines not that grey look.

                  Ji

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
                    That should be CFH not cfm.
                    What size torch ?

                    Always ask your supplier what series the ali is as 2000 series is not easy to weld try and get 5000 or 6000 if you can.

                    The ali is clean when it shines not that grey look.

                    Ji
                    sorry you are correct it is CFH, its a size 7.

                    I asked the supplier what is a good filler for practice and he recommended this one.

                    Should i wipe the ali with some acetone before welding?

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.