Another trailer coulper question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another trailer coulper question

Trailer couplers are thin and strong which leads me to think they may be a bit harder material.

I read the thread where some use bolts and most weld.

I have a coupler lock where a ball is inserted in the ball space and a U bold is pushed down through the extended sides of it. Its yellow so you guys have probably seen them.

I haven't settled on what I'll use, this came with the trailer. I watched a video where this lock was easily defeated with a pry bar by prying the U bolt over the hump.

So would welding a short bent piece of 1/2" round on the hump above the ball weaken anything critical? If not it would prevent prying that U bolt over it.

Below is the type of lock but the weld will be over the ball area on the coupler.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    Trailer couplers are thin and strong which leads me to think they may be a bit harder material.

I read the thread where some use bolts and most weld.

I have a coupler lock where a ball is inserted in the ball space and a U bold is pushed down through the extended sides of it. Its yellow so you guys have probably seen them.

I haven't settled on what I'll use, this came with the trailer. I watched a video where this lock was easily defeated with a pry bar by prying the U bolt over the hump.

So would welding a short bent piece of 1/2" round on the hump above the ball weaken anything critical? If not it would prevent prying that U bolt over it.

Below is the type of lock but the weld will be over the ball area on the coupler.
    I would not hesitate to weld something to a coupler like you are describing.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

I use a piece of schedule 40 pipe with two chains attached [top and bottom] to slide over coupler end and lock around tongue. Cheap but it's something. Battery grinder and cutting wheel will cut through almost anything.

Comment

Would it be hard to build either a 2", 2 1/2" or 3" square tube slip out tongue held in place by a slip bolt with a covered lock like on a gang box.

Remove the hitch and weld a plate across the top and bottom of the rails and weld a SQ tube receiver to it.
        Last edited by tackit; 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I have thought about a removable coupler and know some who cut the tongue off and reinstall it when in use. Don't want to do that just yet.

My idea was crap. I have this one lock pick I keep around just in case. When I went out this morning to weld a piece in the way so that thing would pry over the hump, my key wouldn't open the lock.

Turns out it wasn't on right and the latch was in a bind. However, I got out the pick and with no effort it fell off. I'm not good at lock picking. Just a simple master lock can beat me sometimes so this thing is a joke.

I like the pipe idea, I know you guys have secrets, lets hear some more.
          The video should be here in a few minutes.

Well trying to change format so it will work try this link.

http://youtu.be/JJMh3kiqo6o
          Last edited by Hardrock40; 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM.

Comment

something to get things started

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
              something to get things started

Nice would work on my boat trailer but my enclosed is like V shape.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
                Nice would work on my boat trailer but my enclosed is like V shape.
                Just take off the V ball hitch and cut off the rails far enough back to accommodate a bottom and top plate with the receiver tube. The rail loss can be made up on the length of the slip tongue.

Comment

That one I'll give some thought, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X