Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

automotive welds

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automotive welds

Found these yesterday while looking at new trucks. Im assuming these were robotically done. Given the spatter I also figured they were FC of some sort. Do you agree? The main thing that surprised me was the undercut.Name:  6e99af195cc64a65858a3b766b586f79.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  30.7 KBName:  af09f8df679be79ff2aa4e64b53c04ca.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  32.8 KB

Thats not under cut, thats a plug weld and looks pretty normal for the application

Comment

Sure looks undercut to me and not normal based on other welds on this truck and others on the lot. Its well out of the cut slot and that proabably is a defect as well. In the 2nd pic on the right end of the slot the weld wanders out of the slot which is clearly undercut.

Comment

Looks pretty normal to me also. I worked at a car dealer body shop for 12 years.

Comment

Undercut or out-of-the-slot; it's still probably 3x stronger than it needs to be. Don't try to eyeball how strong it needs to be; modern finite-element-analysis in design is unbelievably accurate, which is why modern vehicles & other structures are so much lighter & stronger than previous eyeballed ones. Besides: it's under warranty. If it fails, it'll be repaired or replaced.

Comment

I doubt if its fluxcore but its robot for sure. I ran a robot doing HD parts for a while...Bob

Comment

i am surprised to hear from you boys that this weld is ok and the norm, i looked at it closely, i would not let a weld like that out from my shop and i bet you guys would not either

Comment

I'm not saying I approve of that weld. I'm saying the appearance of that weld is pretty common coming straight from the factory. Especially on bumper reinforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by californiakid21 View Post
                  I'm not saying I approve of that weld. I'm saying the appearance of that weld is pretty common coming straight from the factory. Especially on bumper reinforcement.
                  Yes you are right because us welders care. But the factory doesn't. The sh !t that was going out of our shop was unreal but it passed inspection. I never would have let it go but it wasn't my call...Bob

Comment

automotive welds have been ugly since the begining of time. a car or truck produced on a belt in 20 hours will look like that. im sure if you bought a hand built car the welds would be perfect and your bank account would be empty. probably over engineered and over welded anyway.

Comment

Kevin, That is not under cut, The weld is just not filled up to the top, Personally I would have flushed it out to the top, However I doubt that its going to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by californiakid21 View Post
                        The weld shown was from a frame rail reinforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                          I doubt if its fluxcore but its robot for sure. I ran a robot doing HD parts for a while...Bob
                          OK, the reason I thought it was FC was the spatter. I figured if it was MIG that would be absent.

Im unfamiliar w/ robotic welding but had the impression there was considerably more regularity than the welds I observed. Some looked like they had very good penetration and others appeared not to. Some were properly w/i the slot while other wandered (some considerably).

Comment

I would bet their welds are designed so not to use anymore wire than is necessary, they have a good idea of how long a vehicle is going to last before it's crushed and put on a boat and sent to China as scrap. Filling that weld to the top would be money out of their stock holders pockets.

Forgive my double posting, my computer is supposed to be delivered today. This machine is 2000 Gateway, it's as slow as a democrat on smoke break.
                            Last edited by tackit; 04-05-2013, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I would bet their welds are designed so not to use anymore wire than is necessary, they have a good idea of how long a vehicle is going to last before it's crushed and put on a boat and sent to China as scrap. Filling that weld to the top would be money out of their stock holders pockets.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.