big no no!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big no no!

This is the main frame of a well drilling rig with a 40' BOOM this is one of the main supports holding up the boom.. As u see before I chipped it, it didn't look too bad.... but after being chipped you can see its a very crappy downhill 7018. And on top of that the torch cuts (another no no) aren't even cleaned up. I get very frustrated at stuff like this. I have worked hard to get where I am at for other welding shops and some people think they can purchase a welder with no experience and ask questions on the internet to become a welder.. sure u can do small projects around your house but out in the real world your gonna kill someone.
    Last edited by weldonwelding; 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM.

big no no!

Pic(s)?

Comment

I tried uploading em from my phone... guess it didn't work. I will do when I get home tonight

Comment

Weldonwelding, Yup, I see it all the time and alot of times they get away with it, I cringe when I see back yard welder putting hitches on trucks when they barely no how to weld and they dont have a clue how to properly fabricate.

Comment

I will have some pictures for ya tonight. You will cringe when u see some of the stuff I gouged out and rewelded. And using a torch on load bearing clips. Cut the hole and the whole clip out with a torch.... I'm going to guess that the guy has no clue why he shouldn't do that

Comment

Here's one
            Attached Files

Comment

Only let's me do one at a time
              Attached Files

Comment

How about a pic or two of the re-weld.

Comment

Hope you post more pics. The two you posted don't really show anything.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

Comment

So the question i have is how long was this mount on the drill rig couple days,weeks or years. I agree with mmw the pictures don't really show anything. The other thing how do you know if the person did this job just got a welder seems like a broad statement to make. Were you brought into fix this problem or something else and found this at the same time. I hope you used a good dual shield or self shielded wire to repair it.

Comment

I'm certainly no heavy equipment repair expert but I was told you never weld across the face of a beam or a vehicle's frame, only along it's outside edge so you don't weakin the frame or beam.... that's why they use rivets shown in the picture. Am I right, wrong or is it sometimes you got to do what you got to do.
                      I know they make HD rivet guns you can buy to install the rivets pictured, a guy on welding web used them when he did a trailer rebuild.
                      Last edited by tackit; 04-03-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by milkerman:305028
                        So the question i have is how long was this mount on the drill rig couple days,weeks or years. I agree with mmw the pictures don't really show anything. The other thing how do you know if the person did this job just got a welder seems like a broad statement to make. Were you brought into fix this problem or something else and found this at the same time. I hope you used a good dual shield or self shielded wire to repair it.
                        New truck. Old rig. Hired a guy that is about 60 thinking he knew what he was doing but come to find out that he retired from a desk job and started welding very recently to mount rig to truck couple weeks ago. Having probs uploading pics so gotta do it from home when I get a chance. Its really not a broad statement when you see it all the time. Anyone can get a business license and start welding is the problem. And no.... 7018.

Comment

Vertical
                          Attached Files

Comment

Torch cuts left jagged
                            Attached Files

Comment

My favorite... flat
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X