No announcement yet.

big no no!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offence but I was expecting alot worse, Ya the weld is a vert. down and its lacking filler metal.

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying I've seen alot worse.

Comment

weldng on rig

perfect answer weldonwelding.i can tell you know your stuff and work hard and am proud of what you do.
      i -100% agree

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder:305072
        No offence but I was expecting alot worse, Ya the weld is a vert. down and its lacking filler metal.

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying I've seen alot worse.
        This is terrible and if it was done on my time or any of the shops that I have worked for... the person who did it would be fired on the spot. People work at the rear of this truck right by the boom that this crap was intended to hold up. Lots of pressure on these welds even with the boom down so let alone when the boom is up on a windy day. Just a matter of time and these would have broke... the pics don't do a whole lot of justice because I'm just having probs uploading em. But just the torch cuts and down hill load bearing should be enough. I have cut them off and in the process of making all new with my iron worker. I will post pics when finished

Comment

Weldonwelding, Based on this imformation that makes a big difference ( Not that you didd'nt mention it before, I just forgot )

In the picture it just looks like a flat bed mounted on a frame so the weld would have probably held.

First off, The bed should not be welded to the frame, It should be mounted with bolts so I hope your not welding it to the frame.

It should have shackles where you have a bolt on each side of the rail with a top and bottom plate.

At a minimum there should be 4 different areas where it bolts down, I suspect you will have 6 or 8 areas to remedy this problem.

Make sure you let the owner know that ther'es a possability that the frame might crack where the other guy welded it, Even if you cut his crap off the frame has suffered damage from the heat.

If you have to ever weld to a frame you can weld parrallel to the frame but never weld across the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder:305097
            Weldonwelding, Based on this imformation that makes a big difference ( Not that you didd'nt mention it before, I just forgot )

In the picture it just looks like a flat bed mounted on a frame so the weld would have probably held.

First off, The bed should not be welded to the frame, It should be mounted with bolts so I hope your not welding it to the frame.

It should have shackles where you have a bolt on each side of the rail with a top and bottom plate.

At a minimum there should be 4 different areas where it bolts down, I suspect you will have 6 or 8 areas to remedy this problem.

Make sure you let the owner know that ther'es a possability that the frame might crack where the other guy welded it, Even if you cut his crap off the frame has suffered damage from the heat.

If you have to ever weld to a frame you can weld parrallel to the frame but never weld across the frame.
            Thanks.. but your talking to probably the only person You have ever talked to that is state certified to weld on the states fleet of trucks about welding to truck frames. You do not weld to the flange of the frame... attached is a pic of a sticker that states just that on the truck that I'm working on. But don't worry, your not the first person that I've heard not know that
            Attached Files

Comment

Well, whatever you guys figure out is the right way to weld or not weld on any particular truck frame (and I have seen a bunch of stuff done in a bunch of ways...some ugly, but workable, some just WRONG and some right), the weld in the picture looks worse than some of the ones the newbies at the local tech college make! ( Gee, I hope that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings )
              Don J
              Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
                Thanks.. but your talking to probably the only person You have ever talked to that is state certified to weld on the states fleet of trucks about welding to truck frames. You do not weld to the flange of the frame... attached is a pic of a sticker that states just that on the truck that I'm working on. But don't worry, your not the first person that I've heard not know that
                Just for clarification. Where that sticker is placed is not the flange that is the face, the vertical part, the flanges are the top and bottom horizontal edges.

But still don't like to weld anywhere on a heavy truck frame if its avoidable.
                Trailblazer 302
                Lincoln SP-135-T
                Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
                Smith torch
                Spoolmatic 30A

Comment

Where the sticker is... is the web. Good lord man.. it seems every post on here turns to a pizzing contest. I posted this with the intentions that some could relate but I see very few do.

Comment

repair of frame bracket.

Hello all, I have to comment, that there are several posters that are correct here. I do agree with weldon's initial original post , with the pictures he provided. The welds are rather crappy looking down hands. Depending on exactly where and what the joint is holding can have very important issues as to the lifespan of the frame. I also agree that there shouldn"t be any welding on the web of a frame member, but i have also seen engineered frames from manufacturers that contradict this. In a perfect world the component should have been drilled and bolted , or possibly riveted together my the manufacturer. I also realize that the world isnt perfect and most of the time additions and attachments are made to already existing frames, vehicles and equipment. Whatever needs to be attached is sometimes done hastily without much consideration to the negative affects of welding and its related heat input issues. I seem to be a bit puzzled about the sticker saying no welding to the channel or is it beam flanges ? I have seen several manufacture specs that ok this as opposed to welding on any web areas. I think most of us here would agree that taking a extra minute to dress or grind welds often can be all it takes to make a good repair that much better.
                    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

big no no!

Pictures are ok but they really don't give a clear picture of welds and or overall job & load. I've taken pictures of my good welds & they didn't look that good, taken pictures of bad welds & they didn't look that bad. Go figure ??
                      If I'm guilty of one thing it's over building & over welding, just don't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt on my watch.
                      One thing I've learned no one knows better than the one under hood, and if its a job that can take someone or more than one mans life it better be 100% + Just no room for error. I think we should trust his judgement. And I don't think the owner is going to pay to have it redone if he didn't see a problem.

Comment

One thing I've learned no one knows better than the one under hood, and if its a job that can take someone or more than one mans life it better be 100% + Just no room for error.
                        The world would come to a stop tomorrow. Millions of incompetent people work on equipment every day.

Comment

What were you thinking?!?..

Just out of curiosity?! Why would you weld Vertical down with 7018... not that you cant do it, I can as well but would never weld anything load bearing that way.... not bashing you but you were welding this on the derrick of an oil rig?... not a lawnmower. If that weld fails, and it could very possibly, will you write the check for the funeral of hospital bills? Just saying... To me the right way to do it, based on the pictures would have been to grind both down to bare metal and then put a few passes on up hill, if ya wanted to get really technical about it, put the first pass on, chip it, wire wheel it, and then overlap two passes over the top of it. That a way your getting a good tie in to both pieces of base metal. Hope this didnt come across rude.

Comment

Oops misunderstood the post.... Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Missouripipewelder:306325
                              Just out of curiosity?! Why would you weld Vertical down with 7018... not that you cant do it, I can as well but would never weld anything load bearing that way.... not bashing you but you were welding this on the derrick of an oil rig?... not a lawnmower. If that weld fails, and it could very possibly, will you write the check for the funeral of hospital bills? Just saying... To me the right way to do it, based on the pictures would have been to grind both down to bare metal and then put a few passes on up hill, if ya wanted to get really technical about it, put the first pass on, chip it, wire wheel it, and then overlap two passes over the top of it. That a way your getting a good tie in to both pieces of base metal. Hope this didnt come across rude.
                              Nah... Jus came across as you didn't read a whole lot before you commented. I do it sometimes too..... Cause sometimes peoples comments are just too long and boring. Funny though, what u said is what the post is about...lol

Comment

Right on brother, I just joined this forum, I'm a Lincoln guy, mainly because I contract for the North Dakota Oil fields. That being said my my rig trucks got a 300D pipeliner on it. I have an ESAB 150 tig/stick and a Maxstar too. I read you whole post and just misunderstood ya. That monorail projects seemed pretty cool based on the pics. I'll be putting pics up and updating my profile so if ya get a chance check my rig out, its my baby... probably went way overboard but oh well! Take it easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X