Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

big no no!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big no no!

This is the main frame of a well drilling rig with a 40' BOOM this is one of the main supports holding up the boom.. As u see before I chipped it, it didn't look too bad.... but after being chipped you can see its a very crappy downhill 7018. And on top of that the torch cuts (another no no) aren't even cleaned up. I get very frustrated at stuff like this. I have worked hard to get where I am at for other welding shops and some people think they can purchase a welder with no experience and ask questions on the internet to become a welder.. sure u can do small projects around your house but out in the real world your gonna kill someone.
    Last edited by weldonwelding; 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM.

big no no!

Pic(s)?

Comment

I tried uploading em from my phone... guess it didn't work. I will do when I get home tonight

Comment

Weldonwelding, Yup, I see it all the time and alot of times they get away with it, I cringe when I see back yard welder putting hitches on trucks when they barely no how to weld and they dont have a clue how to properly fabricate.

Comment

I will have some pictures for ya tonight. You will cringe when u see some of the stuff I gouged out and rewelded. And using a torch on load bearing clips. Cut the hole and the whole clip out with a torch.... I'm going to guess that the guy has no clue why he shouldn't do that

Comment

Here's one
            Attached Files

Comment

Only let's me do one at a time
              Attached Files

Comment

How about a pic or two of the re-weld.

Comment

Hope you post more pics. The two you posted don't really show anything.

Comment

So the question i have is how long was this mount on the drill rig couple days,weeks or years. I agree with mmw the pictures don't really show anything. The other thing how do you know if the person did this job just got a welder seems like a broad statement to make. Were you brought into fix this problem or something else and found this at the same time. I hope you used a good dual shield or self shielded wire to repair it.

Comment

I'm certainly no heavy equipment repair expert but I was told you never weld across the face of a beam or a vehicle's frame, only along it's outside edge so you don't weakin the frame or beam.... that's why they use rivets shown in the picture. Am I right, wrong or is it sometimes you got to do what you got to do.
                      I know they make HD rivet guns you can buy to install the rivets pictured, a guy on welding web used them when he did a trailer rebuild.
                      Last edited by tackit; 04-03-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by milkerman:305028
                        So the question i have is how long was this mount on the drill rig couple days,weeks or years. I agree with mmw the pictures don't really show anything. The other thing how do you know if the person did this job just got a welder seems like a broad statement to make. Were you brought into fix this problem or something else and found this at the same time. I hope you used a good dual shield or self shielded wire to repair it.
                        New truck. Old rig. Hired a guy that is about 60 thinking he knew what he was doing but come to find out that he retired from a desk job and started welding very recently to mount rig to truck couple weeks ago. Having probs uploading pics so gotta do it from home when I get a chance. Its really not a broad statement when you see it all the time. Anyone can get a business license and start welding is the problem. And no.... 7018.

Comment

Vertical
                          Attached Files

Comment

Torch cuts left jagged
                            Attached Files

Comment

My favorite... flat
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.