No announcement yet.

Trailer Coupler Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own several trailers and have looked at many. I have never seen a coupler of this type bolted to a frame. Here's a shot of the type I'm going to use. The difference being mine has no holes in it.

Name:  2054327e0d8dd3b08f3622b0eb5b1219.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  62.6 KB
    Last edited by idahoguy; 04-06-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

My family has been in the trailer biz for more tha 50 years. The only bolt on ones i have seen were boat trailers with a single tube tongue or an aluminum tongue which my family made also. The trailers my dad and i made were all welded on either the A frame type or the single tube...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by Steve83 View Post
        For exactly the same reasons that you started this thread, the replacement coupler should NOT be welded on. Bolt only. Cut/weld/grind the neck of the trailer frame to fit the new coupler & its bolts.
        Would this be a good candidate for a bolt on coupler? https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cmlgj9dli...2009.59.05.jpg
        MillerMatic 251
        Maxstar 150 STH
        Cutmaster 42
        Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Trailer coupler removal

Just reading the different post on this issue, might want to keep in mind if you do cut off the old coupler and reweld the new on YOU ARE RESPONCEABLE FOR ANY dammages that may accour from poor welding.

By cutting off the old one it voids the FACTORY standard of were it was first made even if it from the 1950's

I have done this type or repair before and yes you will need to weld the coupler on then bolt the jack on, the jack will fail before the coupler will.

When welding the coupler on you will weld the undersides and across the back by the frame rails (other words FULL PENATRATION)

Just my opinion take it for what its worth but remember you are liabale for what ever you do on this project.

Comment

Originally posted by davesweld View Post
            Just reading the different post on this issue, might want to keep in mind if you do cut off the old coupler and reweld the new on YOU ARE RESPONCEABLE FOR ANY dammages that may accour from poor welding.

By cutting off the old one it voids the FACTORY standard of were it was first made even if it from the 1950's

I have done this type or repair before and yes you will need to weld the coupler on then bolt the jack on, the jack will fail before the coupler will.

When welding the coupler on you will weld the undersides and across the back by the frame rails (other words FULL PENATRATION)

Just my opinion take it for what its worth but remember you are liabale for what ever you do on this project.
            Just a note I've been in welding/fabrication for over 20yrs and have built trailers for Haulmark,Pace,Exiss... and built my own custom trailers.

Comment

Learn how to weld, get certified to do so, or take it to a pro.... no sense in taking a risk of it not being safe...

Comment

Working...
              X