Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

weld 22ga floor patches

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weld 22ga floor patches

I'm attempting to weld in some 22ga floor patches. I'm using a 135 mig with .023 wire and co2/argon mix. when I attempt to tack the patch I'm burning the patch away. I have the voltage turned all the way down and the speed at about 2 1/2 and I'm working in a overhead position. I would appreciate any tips or comments.
    Thanks

try using a backing plate, something other than the material you are welding. Try a piece of aluminumon on the back side of where you are welding. put a weight on it to hold it flat against your surface. This will take some of the heat out of your weld and allow you to weld without burning through.

Comment

Ceramic works really well as a backing plate too.

Comment

How are you adding the patch? Overlaying or cutting and fitting? How large is the patch? Is any of the material rusted? I have done lots of welding on my friends 22g Sheetmetal on his car using .023 and 75/25. Fit up is very important. Gaps make life much harder. I was using my mm180.

Comment

Stitch weld it.

Comment

Fit up is very important on thin material. If your overlapping they need to be tight together. Use tacks instead of trying to run a bead. Tack about every 3/4" then fill in with more tacks. If butt welding you shouldn't have any gaps. Make the patch first then scribe around it & cut out the bad area.

As was mentioned already a backer of some sort helps a lot also. Aluminum or copper work well. Everything needs to be clean & solid. No half rusted areas.

Comment

From what I gather your just laying over existing..? Start your tack on the existing metal and bring it to the metal that's burning away

Comment

weld 22ga floor patches

Yep. Agree with Weldonwelding, start your tack on base metal and or the thicker metal & flow into patch. Same with running bead

Comment

Why can't you use thicker steel for the patch?

Comment

Using a flanger with the hole punch is great for panel replacement
                    You punch the holes and plug weld the replacement panel in place where you flanged the original metal it creates a lap joint that fits flush

But it does not work for all situations pics wold help

Comment

As mentioned a heavier gage would work better,I have had great success in the past using 20ga.Cold Rolled sheeting for a variety of projects including floor pans.Might try that next time.No gaps and good base metal(clean) should go without saying.
                      Gotto ask is this a hot rod or someones love affair with grandpas Hugo?

Comment

weld 22ga floor patches

Thank you all for the tips and advice. Ifound the patch ,which is an overlay did not fit tight to the base leaving a gap. Once I clamp it tight, I was able to tack from thicker to thinner no problem. I'm working under the car and didn't notice the gap untill you guys brought it to my attention. Thanks Again.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.