Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

frozen bearing

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen bearing

I need help, I am trying to remove a bearing froma shaft ,very little access to it and I would like to save it and the shaft , I need to add that I tried a 3 jaw puller to no avail and there are 16 of these at 2500.00 a pop please help . would dry ice help?

Originally posted by SNUNEZ View Post
    I need help, I am trying to remove a bearing froma shaft ,very little access to it and I would like to save it and the shaft , I need to add that I tried a 3 jaw puller to no avail and there are 16 of these at 2500.00 a pop please help . would dry ice help?
    Not much to go on here, "very little access to it" perhaps if you could post a photo of what your dealing with, someone could provide a useful solution.

Comment

Clean shaft, heat frozen bearing race and remove. If you didn't need to save the bearing, I would cut the outer and inner races and peel it off the shaft.

Comment

A picture would be a real help. What type of bearing are you dealing wtih?
        Some bearings will bind on the shaft when you pull on the outer race.
        Dry ice can sometimes be a help. Liquid propane used to work, but not so much any more. It doesn't seem the same.

Comment

Yea.....a pic would work wonders. How big is the bearing/shaft? $2500 a pop sounds pretty big to me.....If I could I would remove the shaft and use a shop press.....

Comment

Is it possible you could use a slice wheel and cut short of all the way through the bearing's race.

Also could try putting some pentrating oil on the bearing and with a piece of brass against the end of the shaft hit it with an air hammer. I'm thinking the shaft is out of what ever it was in and on the work bench.
            Last edited by tackit; 04-01-2013, 05:28 AM.

Comment

are there too many zeros?

As others said a picture would help and a 2500.00 bearing is something to show.

Comment

So, What happened?

Did the bearings get pulled, cut, project bailed on, or what?

Comment

I use a plasma cutter, pretty easy, just have to have a fire extinguisher handy, one the bearing shell is off, the bearings or rollers come off, then all I do is heat the bearing collar with the plasma, and out it comes

Comment

bearing puller with heat will help, keep heating and cooling to get it unfrozen. a hammer to the race, with heat and the bearing puller should shock it loose.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                      I use a plasma cutter, pretty easy, just have to have a fire extinguisher handy, one the bearing shell is off, the bearings or rollers come off, then all I do is heat the bearing collar with the plasma, and out it comes
                      I do you heat the collar with a plasma? I might use this process if it is easier then a oxy/ace torch or rosebud or tiger torch.

Comment

Cut off the outer race with whatever, then cut the inner race almost through in a few spots and it will pop off. I have also used a cutting torch, and a plasma to scarf off the race. Once the inner race get good and hot in one spot it will generally come off easily. Want to work fast so as to not put too much heat into the spindle/shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                          I do you heat the collar with a plasma? I might use this process if it is easier then a oxy/ace torch or rosebud or tiger torch.
                          Easier and safer than anything else I've tryed and it doesn't scar the $$ shaft. Gotta be on the lookout for grease fires though

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                            Easier and safer than anything else I've tryed and it doesn't scar the $$ shaft. Gotta be on the lookout for grease fires though
                            But how do you heat the collar with the plasma? I'd like to know, if it's easier to heat with it I might try it next time I have to do it. I didn't know you could heat steel with a plasma torch.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                              But how do you heat the collar with the plasma? I'd like to know, if it's easier to heat with it I might try it next time I have to do it. I didn't know you could heat steel with a plasma torch.
                              Just stike the arc and move the plasma head around the collar, heats it up pretty fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.