Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syncrowave 350LX or Dynasty 350

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Syncrowave 350LX or Dynasty 350

    Looking for some feedback from the experienced here.

    I'm trying to decide between a Syncrowave 350LX and a Dynasty 350. It will be for the shop but there isn't any production to speak of yet. In each case I'll be looking at the TigRunner Complete. I have experience with the Dynasty but the Syncrowave is about $1188 cheaper.

    Pros and Cons on each will be helpful.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Pros only.

    Dynasty. Half the power draw, thus half the service requirements.
    High speed pulse.
    Independent en,ep setting.
    4 wave profiles. TriWave for beercan welding.
    Smaller utility bills.
    Smaller footprint.

    Synch. Cheaper initial investment.

    Comment


    • #3
      A couple of more pros for the Syncrowave

      Proven design for a very long and reliable service life.

      Simple controls for a TIG machine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
        A couple of more pros for the Syncrowave

        Proven design for a very long and reliable service life.

        Simple controls for a TIG machine.
        +1

        Also:

        At 250A:
        • Sync350 has a 90%+ duty cycle
        • Dyn350 has only about a 30% duty cycle.
        (To get down to a 30% DC on a Sync, you're going to need to get up around 400A.)

        Oh, and the Sync has a 30+ year record of proven performance and reliability <shrug>

        Don't try that with a Dynasty boys and girls

        "But wait! We'll save seven cents on the light bill!"

        Originally posted by shovelon View Post
        TriWave for beercan welding.
        God knows beercan welding keeps us going 9 months out of the year.

        (Heck, you can weld beer cans with a sine wave machine.)
        Last edited by Helios; 03-30-2013, 10:03 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks guys.

          I knew shovelon would go for the Dynasty. I really like the duty cycle of the Syncrowave and the lower investment. As far as power consumption, I guess it's only consuming power when it's turned on. And if that's the case.... It must be making money. Of course with a 1,000 sq ft shop, the smaller footprint of the Dynasty is nice too.

          Hmmm. What to do...

          Comment


          • #6
            synchrowave

            have a synchrowave at shop (#11 to be delivered by zane weldcraft) been in use constantly since early to mid 70's. only repairs have been 1 circuit board and foot pedal resistors and replaced foot pedal cable (phisical damage). power hog but absolutely bulletproof machine. (we also have dynasty 200 for small intricate work-been problem free so far) will not be replacing the synchro 300 anytime soon.

            Comment


            • #7
              Dynasty. PROS
              3 phase input current capable. Allows for 1/3rd power bill of tranny tigs.
              Blue Lightning arc start. Set per tungsten size or custom configure start sequence.
              Tungsten life is double of tranny tigs while welding alum.
              Smaller tungstens required.
              Smaller cups required when welding alum, consumes less gas.
              Faster alum puddle formation. Uses less gas.
              Faster alum travel speeds. Uses less gas and power per foot of welds.
              Faster alum welding. Greater productivity per hour of welding. Higher profits.
              John Marcella switched to Dynasty. Better control and prettier welds. Puts out video.
              Up to 5000 pps pulse arc for high speed seam welds on Stainless or any other thin metals.
              Better pulse puddle agitation of syncs annoying 10 pps. All are default and usable until altered slightly.
              18 set and forget memory stations.
              PFC included.
              Default parameters are easy to understand and use right off.
              Less dependence of Helium while welding thick alum.
              Direct replacement to Miller AeroWave.
              ROI incredibly fast unless collecting dust.

              Dynasty Cons
              Higher intitial investment.
              Very light and portable, not theft deterrent.
              Friends will bug you to use your machine.
              Latest technology, learning curve required.

              Syncrowave. PROS
              Heavyweight tranny machine. Somewhat of a theft deterrent.


              Sync CONS
              Last memory only.
              Pulse only up to 10pps, virtually useless for high speed thin wall puddle agitation. Interferes with Autodark hood switching functions.
              Pulls 128 amps input power at full draw on AC welding. Twice that of Dynasty.
              Consumes more power than a Dynasty700.
              PFC is not included. PFC is available as an expensive option.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kvwall View Post
                I really like the duty cycle of the Syncrowave and the lower investment.
                If that's the case, you ought to take a look at some of the older stuff like a Miller 330A/BP.

                It goes up to 460A in DC TIG and 435A in AC TIG and to match its Duty Cycle capabilities, you would need a rotating pool of about 15 Dynasty 350s.

                You can also commonly buy one for less than $1000.

                Originally posted by shovelon View Post
                Syncrowave. PROS
                Heavyweight tranny machine. Somewhat of a theft deterrent.
                Just so I'm clear, you don't think having more than TRIPLE the duty cycle of the Dynasty is a "pro"?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by shovelon View Post
                  Dynasty. PROS
                  3 phase input current capable. Allows for 1/3rd power bill of tranny tigs.
                  Blue Lightning arc start. Set per tungsten size or custom configure start sequence.
                  Tungsten life is double of tranny tigs while welding alum.
                  Smaller tungstens required.
                  Smaller cups required when welding alum, consumes less gas.
                  Faster alum puddle formation. Uses less gas.
                  Faster alum travel speeds. Uses less gas and power per foot of welds.
                  Faster alum welding. Greater productivity per hour of welding. Higher profits.
                  John Marcella switched to Dynasty. Better control and prettier welds. Puts out video.
                  Up to 5000 pps pulse arc for high speed seam welds on Stainless or any other thin metals.
                  Better pulse puddle agitation of syncs annoying 10 pps. All are default and usable until altered slightly.
                  18 set and forget memory stations.
                  PFC included.
                  Default parameters are easy to understand and use right off.
                  Less dependence of Helium while welding thick alum.
                  Direct replacement to Miller AeroWave.
                  ROI incredibly fast unless collecting dust.

                  Dynasty Cons
                  Higher intitial investment.
                  Very light and portable, not theft deterrent.
                  Friends will bug you to use your machine.
                  Latest technology, learning curve required.

                  Syncrowave. PROS
                  Heavyweight tranny machine. Somewhat of a theft deterrent.


                  Sync CONS
                  Last memory only.
                  Pulse only up to 10pps, virtually useless for high speed thin wall puddle agitation. Interferes with Autodark hood switching functions.
                  Pulls 128 amps input power at full draw on AC welding. Twice that of Dynasty.
                  Consumes more power than a Dynasty700.
                  PFC is not included. PFC is available as an expensive option.
                  That's a TON of pros. You may have persuaded me in the Dynasty direction. Now I just need a good deal. You selling any used? I could drive down to LA to pick up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Helios View Post
                    If that's the case, you ought to take a look at some of the older stuff like a Miller 330A/BP.

                    It goes up to 460A in DC TIG and 435A in AC TIG and to match its Duty Cycle capabilities, you would need a rotating pool of about 15 Dynasty 350s.

                    You can also commonly buy one for less than $1000.



                    Just so I'm clear, you don't think having more than TRIPLE the duty cycle of the Dynasty is a "pro"?
                    Same duty cycle on 3 phase, but anyhow I got the Dynasty700. Wonder why they ashcanned the Syncrowave500?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shovelon View Post
                      anyhow I got the Dynasty700
                      Holy cow, with 3-phase that gives 500A at 100% duty cycle. Now THAT'S a WELDER!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Helios View Post
                        Holy cow, with 3-phase that gives 500A at 100% duty cycle. Now THAT'S a WELDER!
                        Yes, and 600 amps at 60% duty cycle which is the best myself and my crew can keep up between welds and repositioning anyway. Sure does increase productivity in a big way. Keeps the utility bill in check also.

                        I will have to admit I purchased the 700 with the intent of dispensing with Helium altogether. It did not work out and it still wants some 5% to speed things up, otherwise I get a cold weld. With the cost of Helium going through the roof, I was hoping for a magical cure.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.