Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like to see photos of home built sandblasting cabinets, thanks

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like to see photos of home built sandblasting cabinets, thanks

I was hoping to find a 275 gallon oblong oil tank to build my cabinet out of but they all went to China along with the rest of steel in local farmer's scrap piles. I've had my name in scarp yards for months and still no luck. SO I need find a new idea, afterthought improvements would be appreciated. Thanks tackit

My compressor is a 80 gallon two stage 5 HP Quincy I prefer a suction type cabinet, I've read they are the less troublesome.

I would like to see photos of home built sandblasting cabinets, thanks

If you have a nearby army surplus dealer, check the inventory of shipping containers.

Also, various sizes and shapes of shipping containers are available on line. I found just what I was looking for to make a large rib cooker a couple of years ago from a dealer in Northern Alabama as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by dkennett View Post
      If you have a nearby army surplus dealer, check the inventory of shipping containers.

Also, various sizes and shapes of shipping containers are available on line. I found just what I was looking for to make a large rib cooker a couple of years ago from a dealer in Northern Alabama as I recall.
      Thanks for the idea dkennett, sounds good.

Comment

Here's an oil tank I cut down to forty inches to make a wood stove. used #7 rebar for the grate. Same thing could be done to make a sand blasting cabinet.

Attached Files

Comment

I have seen some home made cabinets made out of 55 gals drums on the internet, they are probably what could suit you best, they are easyly couplable for long parts.

However your compressor will not be able to supply volume and pressure for more than 5 minutes.

A good 5hp compressor like yours is about18-20 cfm @ 90 psi.

A succion gun with 1/8 air jet and 1/4 nozzle needs 21 cfm @ 80 psi. or 23 cfm @ 90 psi.

this nozzle-jet combination is among the smallest for sand-blasting.

anyhow, it's a very usefull tool to have .

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
            I have seen some home made cabinets made out of 55 gals drums on the internet, they are probably what could suit you best, they are easyly couplable for long parts.

However your compressor will not be able to supply volume and pressure for more than 5 minutes.

A good 5hp compressor like yours is about18-20 cfm @ 90 psi.

A succion gun with 1/8 air jet and 1/4 nozzle needs 21 cfm @ 80 psi. or 23 cfm @ 90 psi.

this nozzle-jet combination is among the smallest for sand-blasting.

anyhow, it's a very usefull tool to have .

My computer is down. I'm using and old timer, slow but better than nothing. Verizon was good enough to switch my G4 account to my daughters G3 USB modem she nolonger is using, the G4 modem's software wouldn't download for some reason on this computer .... I hope this comes out, message says done but with errors on page.

Thanks snowbird for the reply. I thought about using a 55 gallon drum but I want to have lots of height.

If I was younger I would buy a good used Sullair portable unit for air and hook it up to shop, I don't use air that often but when I do I don't want to hem haw around like I must when sandlasting. I built a nice pressure blaster but the cfm is way to low to make it work like it should. Takes forever to do a rim.

Comment

these cabinets are not made from heavy steel, i have seen some cheaper models made with 20-22 gauge sheet, some others made of plastic. may be an old appliance (fridge or dryer) could work.

A pressure-pot in good order performs much more than a succion type for media velocity.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                these cabinets are not made from heavy steel, i have seen some cheaper models made with 20-22 gauge sheet, some others made of plastic. may be an old appliance (fridge or dryer) could work.

A pressure-pot in good order performs much more than a succion type for media velocity.
                Snowbird this computer has been siting for years, it's in the process of updating, it's as slow as RR terminal time. I can't download the PDF file just yet but I'll get back to it after service pack 3 update is downloaded. Reader needs to be updated too. Fed X is coming to pick my computer today, this computer is a Gateway year 2000 runing Windows 95.

I think an old Ice box would work with a steel plate in the back. as long as the rubber seal is good on the door. I'm going to look into surplus military shipping containers today also.

This would be my first choice for air but I'm to old. http://www.sullair.com/Americas/en/P...sors/5+-+25+hp
                Last edited by tackit; 04-01-2013, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Anyone near you equipped with a shot blast? It is way faster than sandblasting and does a better job. It will also let you know if the rim is rusted too thin(it will blow holes right though if it is) I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you have a lot of work for it but if someone close is equipped you might get them to clean rims for you at a reasonable price.
                  Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                    Anyone near you equipped with a shot blast? It is way faster than sandblasting and does a better job. It will also let you know if the rim is rusted too thin(it will blow holes right though if it is) I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you have a lot of work for it but if someone close is equipped you might get them to clean rims for you at a reasonable price.
                    Meltedmetal
                    Thanks Meltedmetal, I never gave shot blasting a thought. I gave up on sand-blasting, just not enough air or daylight.

Comment

We occasionally do a few for the local guys rebuilding stuff. We have a small machine with a 4 foot rotary table and are using round steel shot. Rims need to be degreased cause the shot will stick in the grease and the rim won't clean properly. I can put 4 car rims on the table at the same time and with 2 to 4 times turning the rims over it takes about 40 minutes or so to clean all 4. Rust and paint are usually pretty well all gone down to bare metal. They need primer fairly soon or they will rust again fast. Unfortunately I'm much too far from you to be of any direct assistance.
                      Meltedmetal

Comment

Doesn't have to be steel, I made one out of an old wooden shipping crate. Put a lexan window in it. I was worried at first how long it would hold up, but it seems to be fine...

Comment

Thanks Meltedmetal for the consideration. It's been to cold to open the shop up anyway. I got to wait another two weeks before I can put the tools back in the shop without them and the electricle tools getting rusty and covered in condensate. It's gets bad around here south of Lake Michigan. I use those GM donut tires for building yard trailers, I need to blast two rims. I'll probably use the suction blaster I got from NAPA with just a hose and gun and use black beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by 65-408 View Post
                            Doesn't have to be steel, I made one out of an old wooden shipping crate. Put a lexan window in it. I was worried at first how long it would hold up, but it seems to be fine...
                            I don't think the power I have would hurt wood either ....unless I stayed in the same spot.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.