Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bobcat 225 vs Bobcat 250

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bobcat 225 vs Bobcat 250

    Hey guys,

    I'm new here but not new to welding. I am currently a fabricator for a company that builds screw conveyers and troughs to spec per the customers needs. Before that, i was a welder repair man, so I am extremely familiar with the machines.

    I am looking to buy a small engine-driven machine, either the Bobcat 225 or Bobcat 250. I will be primarily using the machine to power my home when I lose power (I have a well so no power = no water). My question to you is, will the 225 fit my needs better than the 250, or should i just spend the extra money for the 250? I'm leaning towards the 250 but i'd like to hear some other opinions.

    Thanks guys!

    -Brian

  • #2
    Bobcat 225 vs Bobcat 250

    I own a 225 and my boss owns a 250 I don't see much difference only
    A lil more amp power but other than that both are the same and have about the and power if I were you I would be choosing between the bobcat or the trailblazer

    Comment


    • #3
      I dunno where your at but I know a guy with a 225 that has 22 mins on it. He is selling it for the loan payoff, which is 2500 bucks. About a half hour from Baltimore md

      Comment


      • #4
        If your planning on powering your house during an outage, the more power the better in most cases. The BC 250 puts out 2000 watts more than the 225, 10,000 vs 8000 running watts so that should be a consideration. The 225 will probably handle most of your welding applications as well as the 250 will unless you typically run high amp output for most of your welding. In which case you may want a bigger machine than either of these anyway.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by juancarlos20121 View Post
          I own a 225 and my boss owns a 250 I don't see much difference only
          A lil more amp power but other than that both are the same and have about the and power if I were you I would be choosing between the bobcat or the trailblazer
          I considered the trailblazer but they're more machine than I need and more expensive!

          Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
          I dunno where your at but I know a guy with a 225 that has 22 mins on it. He is selling it for the loan payoff, which is 2500 bucks. About a half hour from Baltimore md
          I'm in east PA so that is absolutely within reach! Feel free to PM me his contact info. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

          Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
          If your planning on powering your house during an outage, the more power the better in most cases. The BC 250 puts out 2000 watts more than the 225, 10,000 vs 8000 running watts so that should be a consideration. The 225 will probably handle most of your welding applications as well as the 250 will unless you typically run high amp output for most of your welding. In which case you may want a bigger machine than either of these anyway.
          Well I wouldn't be powering the entire house, mainly the well pump and fridge, for just a few hours a day anyway. I'm aware that the 250 puts out 2000 more watts than the 225, hence the reason I was favoring the 250. As far as weld output goes, either the 225 or 250 will be more than enough power, heck even a Millermatic 140 would be more than enough power for 90% of the jobs I do (mostly car repair and small home repairs).


          Thank you everyone!

          -Brian

          Comment


          • #6
            Bobcat 225 vs Bobcat 250

            Actually the 225 has 10500 running watts and the 250 has 11000 watts which to me is not much difference the older model ones had 8000 during hurricane Ike I was able to power a 3 ton ac,refrigerator,lights and other stuff and all this with the 225

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by juancarlos20121 View Post
              Actually the 225 has 10500 running watts and the 250 has 11000 watts which to me is not much difference the older model ones had 8000 during hurricane Ike I was able to power a 3 ton ac,refrigerator,lights and other stuff and all this with the 225
              Now that I've done some more research, I think it's going to come down to whichever one I can get the best deal on.

              Thanks

              -Brian

              Comment


              • #8
                Bobcat 225 vs Bobcat 250

                Good call Brian

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by juancarlos20121 View Post
                  Good call Brian
                  I thought so!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My LWS quoted the price between the two at a 250.00 difference.

                    There isn't much difference between the new machines but seems to be more between the older versions from looking at Millers site here.

                    The previous 225 and I don't know how long ago was 8000 running watts and new is 10,500 and "supposed" to be cleaner power, who knows.

                    Both the new 225 and 250 are 5" shorter and 33% noise reduction, 55lbs lighter with some kind of improved air flow design. The 250 has a fuel gage and I read somewhere where the 250 has better sound quality but the same in noise level.

                    The new machines have the OSHA required terminal covers but you can buy the rubber covers for the others.

                    My thoughts have been whether to buy new or older version, not so much as 225 or 250.

                    Seems all the better used deals are 3 to 4 hours drive away. The locals think 500 bucks off new price on an antique rust bucket is a great deal.

                    I like the new warranty but I am afraid it will run out before I need the first oil change.

                    Does anybody know what year the 225 machines changed from 8000 to 10500?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
                      My LWS quoted the price between the two at a 250.00 difference.

                      There isn't much difference between the new machines but seems to be more between the older versions from looking at Millers site here.

                      The previous 225 and I don't know how long ago was 8000 running watts and new is 10,500 and "supposed" to be cleaner power, who knows.

                      Both the new 225 and 250 are 5" shorter and 33% noise reduction, 55lbs lighter with some kind of improved air flow design. The 250 has a fuel gage and I read somewhere where the 250 has better sound quality but the same in noise level.

                      The new machines have the OSHA required terminal covers but you can buy the rubber covers for the others.

                      My thoughts have been whether to buy new or older version, not so much as 225 or 250.

                      Seems all the better used deals are 3 to 4 hours drive away. The locals think 500 bucks off new price on an antique rust bucket is a great deal.

                      I like the new warranty but I am afraid it will run out before I need the first oil change.

                      Does anybody know what year the 225 machines changed from 8000 to 10500?
                      I found an old Miller full-line catalog from 2009. It appears that the current Bobcats haven't changed since then.

                      Seems like, in my mind at least, a newer machine would be the way to go.

                      I called the gentleman in MD and he still has the new Bobcat 225 with ~3 hours on it. After speaking with him, this seems like the most logical choice.

                      I will inform you guys of what happens!

                      Thank you everyone!

                      -Brian

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.