Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMAW Aluminum

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMAW Aluminum

GMAW Aluminum. CP-302 with an XR-Control. 3/64 4043 wire,6061 T611 aluminum.1" to 1/2". 31V 370 IPM.
    Attached Files

Real nice....Bob

Comment

Dang. Very clean!!

Comment

Might as well tig it if you want that look. This jod looks like a lot of spot stitching.
        Look even though.

Comment

Very nice. Is that spot stitch?

Comment

It looks good, However you should have used 53/56 on 6061 tube.

I agree it looks like you stitched it, I worry less about the nice ripple and more on the good fusion.

Comment

GMAW Aluminum

Wow. Thanks the first 2 guys. Ok,it's not stitched,there is maybe two start/stops which are blended pretty well. Next,doing TIG on 1" to 1/2" would cost quite a bit more not counting the hours of extra welding. In a high production shop,that's just not feasible. Next,this is not tube it is 1" plate,1/2" plate and I-beam. I don't know why someone suggested 5356,this is a Boatlift and a brittle wire would make no sense. And no it's not pulsed MIG and no it's not too cold and yes we do destructive and non-destructive tests regularly. Always complete fusion and always passes.

Comment

I thought 5356 was the go to wire for structural aluminum like 6061.....4043 I generally use on cast or repairs....
                Originally posted by Jayp156 View Post
                Wow. Thanks the first 2 guys. Ok,it's not stitched,there is maybe two start/stops which are blended pretty well. Next,doing TIG on 1" to 1/2" would cost quite a bit more not counting the hours of extra welding. In a high production shop,that's just not feasible. Next,this is not tube it is 1" plate,1/2" plate and I-beam. I don't know why someone suggested 5356,this is a Boatlift and a brittle wire would make no sense. And no it's not pulsed MIG and no it's not too cold and yes we do destructive and non-destructive tests regularly. Always complete fusion and always passes.

Comment

GMAW Aluminum

We use 4043 instead of 5356 for several reasons; better looking welds (as all lifts have quite a few through bolts),we do occasionally weld 6061 to cast which 5356 can't do,more penetration(while not as strong as 5356,penetration is key when welding 1" plate without much of a bevel or chamfer),our winch heads have motors that get got and 5356 will corrode faster if it's past 150 degrees (I could be wrong on that),no hot cracking(in my experience),the list goes on.

Comment

We use 4043 instead of 5356 for several reasons; better looking welds (as all lifts have quite a few through bolts),we do occasionally weld 6061 to cast which 5356 can't do,more penetration(while not as strong as 5356,penetration is key when welding 1" plate without much of a bevel or chamfer),our winch heads have motors that get got and 5356 will corrode faster if it's past 150 degrees (I could be wrong on that),no hot cracking(in my experience),the list goes on.
                    You should switch to 4943 then. Bridges the strength gap between 4043 and 5356 while retaining the fluidity of 4043. Maxal makes it.

Comment

If you are passing destructive tests OK....But....Could use more flow and fusion at the edges ....Ripples could be closer together.....I would use 5356 because The lift goes in the water...4043 turns gray and dull after exposure to water ... especially ocean water...I'm being highly critical here but that is what you get when you post a picture like that......Easy for me to pass judgement while I sit at the computer..I'm retired ......Good Luck

Comment

GMAW Aluminum

Well I'm the lead fabricator,not the engineer. The print calls for 4043 so I use 4043. I thought it looked good,as did the engineer and the end customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayp156:304596
                          Well I'm the lead fabricator,not the engineer. The print calls for 4043 so I use 4043. I thought it looked good,as did the engineer and the end customer.
                          It does look good man. Most of the people who criticise on here are on here all day..... And all night...... And usually they have a very long list of very expensive machinery under every post. So go figure, you can't make money welding if your sitting in front of a computer all day, so their probly just full of it or they have debt up to their necks. IMA go with their full of it

Comment

Job well done. Satisfying the engineer is all that counts.

4943 is just released last November at the Fabtech show in Las Vegas. The sample spool that I was given flows like butter and qualifies for use under your 4043. The small amount of magnesium provides some exothermic action to enhance penetration. I think 4943 would be a nice alternative to your 4043.

http://www.maxalinc.com/files/QuickS...g_9-12_doc.pdf
                            http://www.maxalinc.com/files/QuickS...g_9-12_doc.pdf
                            http://www.marinelink.com/news/paten...ces350264.aspx

Nice work.

Comment

Does the 302 have the synergic pulse feature

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.