Heavy Equipmet Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Not claiming to be Donald trump rich, you just asked what I do, so I answered. Just saying I've been around the block more than once, just not in the welding world.

In all honesty, not trying to stir the pot, just trying to learn more about welding and I got caught up in this Internet bs. No hard feelings on my end, sorry if I came off like a d***.

No problem, I do it all the time.

I see you really didn't claim to personaly make what my meager wages amount to in several decades but said you worked on projects that amount to decades of my meager wages.

I don't work for wages, but that aside we did have several thousand hours on the Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge, a 200 million + project.
    Now THAT would take me many decades to make on my personal income. I'm sure you've got that beat by a fair bit tho cause you're a general. I was a Private First Class once. Pretty dadgum good one too, imo only. But never a general.

Poor Old John
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

i really don't know anything about welding but would take some odds on a guy with the wire. I also was a career stick welder but have ran innershield back in the day,,,, 7018 on steroids and then some, this was the stuff JT talks of,,,, hi numbers, hi quality all out of position, hi inspection. Making it so much faster and controllable, 2x the hp, made it better, no stops unless you want, run a 5 minute pass at 400a or more up hill.

Having said that my own portable is sticks, the welding is such a minor time factor its not worth the cost and complication.

As for smaller stuff, heck cant really keep up with a common feeder sc with 035 vs 7018 5/32, feeder iseris so much less tedious in every way, just the mess alone is worth another machine in the shop.

The numbers can even add up in a hurry there if one is reasonable busy. For small work a 211 is great and I do 90% of my work with one but when I had an easy opportunity to track some cost in both consumables and labdidn't didnt take long to make a new 250 with as small as change in wire as a move to 035 about doubled speed and half the cost due to larger gas bottle and large spool of wire,,, whicuslet os fill joint faster further reducing gas on hours,,, no brainer, where rubber hits the road for a comparison,,, buying new specialized with more power pays,,, so essentially got to hang on every word JT says about it as being as close to gospel as it gets. .

Comment

I saw a job a while back, a repair done with sticks and engine drives. It was fine, it got done but one of the first things on my mind would have been scoring like the next day a couple 3ph electrics you can buy at will used and a 25 ft cord to 480 that was unused. Toss a couple on old trailer, even rental may have made sense.

Comment

wrong

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
          An F550 weight is around 7500 pounds and has a rating of 17000 pounds, plenty of room to put a Big blue airpak. A trailblazer is too small for heavy duty equipment repair, it will do it, but you'll have to run that TB302 at maximum steady.
          First an f550 chassis bare weights 7500 to 9000. Now add a srv body, crane, compressor, welde r, tools, and oil your at 17 to 18k. As for a tb302 being to small for heavy equipment repair may i ask have you done it? I have been doing this for 15 years, and its plenty of welder. Also in what world are you going to do field repair service and not have a truck with crane and compressor. Makes me think you either behind a desk, or an oil changer.
          Kevin
          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
          Ln25
          Miller spectrum 625
          Miller 30a spoolgun
          Wc115a
          Lincoln 210mp
          F550 imt service truck

Comment

14,800 here

My F550, with crane, compressor, and quite a few tools, jacks, porta power, leverhoists, grinders, and a Vantage 300 weighs 14,800.

I used to have a Chevy C30 with a loaded bed and a SAM 400 Lincoln. No crane.
            It was too heavy, but served it's purpose for several years.
            Jeff

Comment

Suitcase

Stick welding has its place, however if I can get a suitcase gun near it I'm going too smoke a stick welder. Carrying a suitcase around to weld bar joists is not practical, far easier to drag lead and stinger. Years ago I was on a job burning a full can of rod a day for two weeks. I told my boss to get me a suitcase and let me learn the process. I finally got one and learned it rapidly. We were welding a huge frame up and I smoked 4 stick welders. Its a balancing act. If I'm repairing equipment out comes the 232 innershield .072 and I can rapidly make my repairs.

Comment

f550

Originally posted by J hall View Post
                My F550, with crane, compressor, and quite a few tools, jacks, porta power, leverhoists, grinders, and a Vantage 300 weighs 14,800.

I used to have a Chevy C30 with a loaded bed and a SAM 400 Lincoln. No crane.
                It was too heavy, but served it's purpose for several years.
                What size crane? What kind of body? I have a 2002 maintainer body, the body weights 3900lbs, the crane 6000lb 3126 weighs in at 2200 lbs, loaded up im at 17800. Also a vantage 300 hardly puts out more amps then a 302 trailblazer.
                Kevin
                Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                Ln25
                Miller spectrum 625
                Miller 30a spoolgun
                Wc115a
                Lincoln 210mp
                F550 imt service truck

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                  First an f550 chassis bare weights 7500 to 9000. Now add a srv body, crane, compressor, welde r, tools, and oil your at 17 to 18k. As for a tb302 being to small for heavy equipment repair may i ask have you done it? I have been doing this for 15 years, and its plenty of welder. Also in what world are you going to do field repair service and not have a truck with crane and compressor. Makes me think you either behind a desk, or an oil changer.
                  Kevin
                  His idea of heavy equipment might be different than yours

"I have to say, I work in a mine that has 4 P&H shovel, 2 Cat shovel with 4 D10 and 2 D11 dozer not counting many grader with 1 that is the biggest you can get 24 feet blade and many excavators etc etc... and if you get cut sticking you would be laughed at and my foreman would be giving me the hairy eye brows."
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

A Vantage 300 will put out about 400A all day every day for many years. A V400 will put out over 500A all day every day for many years.
                    Those machines have industrial 4 cyl diesels that go well over 10,000 hrs before the first overhaul. Comparing them to a Trailblazer is just goofy.

I'm not knocking trailblazers but you are talking about two completely different class' of equipment here just like a komatsu home tractor vs a caterpillar.

Both Vantages will power your RV while welding 100% duty cycle at 385A and only need fuel every 3 days or so.

J

I'll add that the trailblazer guys will be here soon, telling you it'll do it all.
                    My only take is that they aren't doing it 60+ hrs/week or they'd buy a bigger machine with a industrial diesel.

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                    What size crane? What kind of body? I have a 2002 maintainer body, the body weights 3900lbs, the crane 6000lb 3126 weighs in at 2200 lbs, loaded up im at 17800. Also a vantage 300 hardly puts out more amps then a 302 trailblazer.
                    Kevin
                    Last edited by JTMcC; 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Weldonwelding,

I missed a bunch of what you said to JT, It was deleted by the time I came back to this post.

I tried giving you some advise about a crane on the truck in another post just to have you tell me that you dont need one even though You say you weld on heavy equipment.

I started welding out of my garage in 1986, Got a welding truck in 1988 and then a shop by 1989 so that 27 years of experience.
                      So I dont understand why you would say that you dont need a crane when we are both in the same kind of business and I use mine at least once a week and sometimes every day depending on what job we are doing.

So now I read all of this and see your trying to tell a Highly respected member such as JTMc that he's wrong. ( Keep in mind I have to read between the lines because most everything has been deleted ).

I hope this can be a lesson learned that with you only having 3 years of business experience that you should listen to some of us guys that have decades of experience and are willing to give you good advise ( For Free )
                      Trust me when JTMc and I got started out there was no INTERNET and no free advise.
                      In my case I had no one to learn from other than when I would run into a veteran at the welding supply house that I might ask a question to and you can bet I was very polite and kept my ears open ( There were also a couple welding shops that I would get steel from that might also give me a tip or 2 from time to time.)
                      And you can bet that 98% of it was trial and error with my hood down.

WeldonWelding, You have alot of guys here with alot of knowlege, use it to your benefit and try to be a little more respectful. Good luck.

Comment

I'm not dogging on trailblazers but if you want to compare, compare to Lincolns air cooled 2 cylinder machines not a larger heavier machine made to crank out amps day after hard day for years on end. Compare a Vantage to the equivelent Miller.

I can go to the Dodge dealer and buy a half ton pickup with a hemi making 390 HP or I can buy a 1 ton with a Cummins making 350 HP. Looks good on paper but guess which one will live longer grossing 11,000 lb every day and towing another 15,000-20,000? Not a valid comparison, it's apples and cheeseburgers.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                          Weldonwelding,

I missed a bunch of what you said to JT, It was deleted by the time I came back to this post.

I tried giving you some advise about a crane on the truck in another post just to have you tell me that you dont need one even though You say you weld on heavy equipment.

I started welding out of my garage in 1986, Got a welding truck in 1988 and then a shop by 1989 so that 27 years of experience.
                          So I dont understand why you would say that you dont need a crane when we are both in the same kind of business and I use mine at least once a week and sometimes every day depending on what job we are doing.

So now I read all of this and see your trying to tell a Highly respected member such as JTMc that he's wrong. ( Keep in mind I have to read between the lines because most everything has been deleted ).

I hope this can be a lesson learned that with you only having 3 years of business experience that you should listen to some of us guys that have decades of experience and are willing to give you good advise ( For Free )
                          Trust me when JTMc and I got started out there was no INTERNET and no free advise.
                          In my case I had no one to learn from other than when I would run into a veteran at the welding supply house that I might ask a question to and you can bet I was very polite and kept my ears open ( There were also a couple welding shops that I would get steel from that might also give me a tip or 2 from time to time.)
                          And you can bet that 98% of it was trial and error with my hood down.

WeldonWelding, You have alot of guys here with alot of knowlege, use it to your benefit and try to be a little more respectful. Good luck.

Portable Welder you didn't miss much, some teenage wannabee posturing:

"weldonwelding said:

Uninformed... no. Experienced. ''The numbers'' what numbers...? I dont get my info or "my numbers" from googling it and comparing on a website. I run my own welding/fabricating buisiness that is doing very well. And i have also worked for a few of the very best shops in my area. Most of my work is hourly since most of my work is equipment repair. Though some of my very best work is done in your mothers pantys while i pay her with crack"

The other post's that he deleted were just more of the same, nothing new.
                          Like you said there was no interwebs when we started. No "google". I've got a drawer full of stop watches I've worn out timing welds/material handling/and material prep. That's how you get proper bidding skills in my opinion. I'm happy to report that wristwatches are common now for several years with a stop watch function built in. I use mine every day.
                          I've also got a file cabinet full of real world completed job times on everything from unloading material to crating finished product. A ton of weld times, that's where I make my living. If you can't quote it you can't make money.
                          So you really didn't miss much, except we now know that weldonwelder doesn't know how to spell panties.

He deleted his posts and continues to put himself out as an expertlike "coming up on 3 years on my own" welder guy on other topics. Go figgure. Water seeks it's own level. And some people never grow up.

Hope you're having a good year.

Know anybody that want's to buy a small Peterbilt with 10,000 lb crane? Wireless crane remote, has two Lincoln 500 amp machines (will sell without machines). Also several LN-25's with FC and dual shield guns, track torches, beveling machines, a ton of hand tools from wrenches to 1" titanium impact wrenches. One 500A machine is a AirVantage w/screw compressor. Air arcs, lot of 4-0 lead, lot's of air hose, Lincolns biggest plasma w/65' lead on the gun.

A long time friend of mine is retiring, he only bought the best and maintained it like a proud father.
                          He REALLY did work on heavy equipment : ) All or part, contact me.

John

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post

He deleted his posts and continues to put himself out as an expertlike "coming up on 3 years on my own" welder guy on other topics. Go figgure. Water seeks it's own level. And some people never grow up.
                            Very well put.

Comment

When jack-offs like him start with the "your momma" BS it's just the sign of a weak mind trying to express itsself, put 'em on the ignore list & they just dry up and blow away !
                              Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Comment

Bringing anybody's momma into a conversation on a welding board is comepletely going over the line.... In any case, anybody who deletes previous posts wholesale, like just happened here, is a weinie. I always thought any "real man" would be willing to say what he thought, say what he means, then stand by his words. I have never been a fan of Arnold (our late great ex-governer, a weinie himself), but he did have one good descriptive term that seems very appropriate right now ....... "girley men".
                                Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Working...
                                X