Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical technique

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical technique

Hi,

Quick question - my recreational night class instructor (by day a pipe-welder) has told me to vertical weld it's basically straight across, pause, back slightly up to end at the top of the starting point, pause - repeat pattern. Seems to align with all other advice - can I ask why some 'vertical weld' pictures I've seen seem to have the stack of nickels appearance like with a cursive lower case "e" pattern? Is that probably because that what was done?!

Also - can someone please explain the 'whip' movement I've seen mentioned here?

Thx.

The stack look probably came from a vertical down weld as opposed to vertical up...

My vertical down looks way better than my vertical up

Comment

Vertical technique

Whip is just moving the rod out of the puddle, allowing it to freeze, then back in the puddle. In vertical that would be moving it up slightly and back down into the puddle. Usually done with a 6010 rod and not a 7018 rod. Great for filling gaps.

Comment

Hi John, are you back in school? If so what nite? I'll stop by and help you because i kind of feel this instructor isn't being of much help and he needs all the help he can get. Let me know or you can call me. Joe

Comment

Simple side to side motion pausing at each edge to fill and not undercut. moving up slightly as you move across each time to advance the puddle upwards. I've tried many different techniques or patterns but find them of no value added and just KISS (keep it simple) side to side. Move faster across the middle to keep the weld flat if you are getting rounded bead.

Comment

All - thanks for your replies - these are helpful.

Joe - I'll give you a shout about getting together - I appreciate the offer. I may be spotty getting to class from here on out due to some positive life events so maybe it'll be an out of class lesson!

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.