need some advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some advice

I having a problem with my vertical up 3/8 open root pass using 3/32 7018. I keep it about 80-90 but I keep burning through, or I get little penetration on the back side. I know I'm post to run a stringing, but am I missing here?

need some advice

why are you running a root with a 70/18 shouldnt you be usin a 60/10 or puttin your root in with tig?

Comment

Your amps seem slightly high to me.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

that what the instructor wants us to do. I said the same, referring to the book.

Comment

Open root I would think you should be using a fast freeze rod like 6010 or 5P. Have your instructor make a weld and watch how he does it.

I Z my way up, hesitating on the sides long enough to tie in and fill the crater then I jump across the middle, the middle takes care of itself.

Comment

1/8 land 1/8 gap 75 amps 6010 rod, use stepping action

Comment

Long time ago did the 7018 root thing. It was good practice for stainless stick root. They're very similar and lo-hi is cheaper. 3/32 land and gap and use a wedge to maintain opening. I believe 70-75 amps, maybe lower. When doing these uphill roots, instead of straight on, try pivoting rod angle towards alternating lands......about 30 degrees.
              Last edited by OldSparks; 03-22-2013, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I have taken 5 structural tests 2 were AWS. I have never used 6010 on the root...only on pipe. You just turn the heat up a lil bit and whip it in.

Comment

thanks ill give it all a try. the instructor there at community college sucks, getting info from him is like pulling teeth.

Comment

need some advice

Structural test 7018 in the open root. No backer??! What's the code?

Comment

there is no code that just what he wants, I know WTF, but can I do. but today was not that bad, I ran 35 degree bevel with a 3/32 land and 3/32 gap using 7018 3/32 rod @ 80 amps. did not come out to bad, however, I think I need to turn the heat up to 90 my penetration on the back side was a little shallow. but I did not burn the **** out of it like I was be for. ill post some pic to see what you guys think.

Comment

Working...
                      X