Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

C 25 gas vs. Co2

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C 25 gas vs. Co2

i know with C 25 you can get nice clean welds but if your welding with a 250 Amp MM Vintage on 3/8 or 1/2 steel how much better will CO2 penatrate

If you have currently been running C25 on your other unit, continue doing the same with the Vintage. As long as your skill level is up to par, as much power as the Vintage offers, you should have no trouble producing sound welds on 3/8" or 1/2" steel with C-25.

With C02 once you hit around 160 amps on the output, it becomes an annoying gas to deal with. Arc quality is generally poor, and the spatter level just keeps getting worse as the output power level increases.

Comment

Danny

the reason i asked i thought the CO2 burned hotter i have never ran CO2 my friend said it burned hotter, i have more problems then the gas i just bought the welder today and did not know it had a high low range on it and the high low selector is fried, i just looked at the receipt the guy give me and he didn't even put a price on it i give him $500 for it. i wish i would have done a little more research i am almost sure he won't give any money back i may be wrong kind of bummed i know it probally ain't a cheap fix.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit
        Danny if it sounds like he won't give your money back offer him a hundred for his time, you never know, he may have a conscience. $400 back is better than nothing. I hate to hear stories like this, good luck, I hope you make out.
        Danny did not buy it, tedster did

​i am gonna talk to him tomorrow and see what he says

Comment

Originally posted by tedster View Post
          the reason i asked i thought the CO2 burned hotter i have never ran CO2 my friend said it burned hotter, i have more problems then the gas i just bought the welder today and did not know it had a high low range on it and the high low selector is fried, i just looked at the receipt the guy give me and he didn't even put a price on it i give him $500 for it. i wish i would have done a little more research i am almost sure he won't give any money back i may be wrong kind of bummed i know it probally ain't a cheap fix.
          Check with http://www.miller4less.com/ The switch is PN 171 610 . . SWITCH, selector 2 position (When ordering this part order 186 058 also, this is the dust cover)

Comment

How do you know that the hi/lo selector switch is fried? if it is only working in one range you may just need to cycle the switch back and forth a few times. Do this with the machine in a no-load state.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              How do you know that the hi/lo selector switch is fried? if it is only working in one range you may just need to cycle the switch back and forth a few times. Do this with the machine in a no-load state.
              Danny

i didn't know it had a high and low range on it pics will explainName:  fe467d1e4f4ac642e0ad9598355bcd30.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  125.4 KBName:  265a563f22123dd62187427df8fcb21c.jpg
Size:  101.2 KBName:  7a4bd31c5f38d3ecb07917c2517fcda3.jpg
Size:  108.7 KBName:  cdaa3f3bee75c4ef1c489cf8cc58bc97.jpg
Size:  80.7 KB

Comment

Originally posted by cope View Post
                Check with http://www.miller4less.com/ The switch is PN 171 610 . . SWITCH, selector 2 position (When ordering this part order 186 058 also, this is the dust cover)
                cope

thanks for the link the parts are like just under $80 like a $20 difference from the welding supply near me that will buy a new liner,
                i talked to the guy i got it from he said he won't give me any money back towards the parts because he said it welded fine for him and he didn't know nothing about it, BUT he did say he would give me a full 3ft tall bottle of C 25 for $75 that is a bought tank so i told him i would take it

Comment

Just fix the switch, even an additional $80 and you still got a good deal. If you could just put in dinse plugs and use a jumper, similar to the MM200, but you would still spend $50 to rig that up. You could also just bolt the terminals together for the range that you will most likely use. I fixed mt selector switch by machining a new shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                    Just fix the switch, even an additional $80 and you still got a good deal. If you could just put in dinse plugs and use a jumper, similar to the MM200, but you would still spend $50 to rig that up. You could also just bolt the terminals together for the range that you will most likely use. I fixed mt selector switch by machining a new shaft.
                    i don't even know if the shaft will come out of this switch the plastic housing looks like it melted together pretty good i have not messed with it much i might tomorrow.
                    it does weld nice for having crappy wire on it needs a little attention i think its gonna be a good welder

Comment

Originally posted by tedster View Post
                      cope

thanks for the link the parts are like just under $80 like a $20 difference from the welding supply near me that will buy a new liner,
                      i talked to the guy i got it from he said he won't give me any money back towards the parts because he said it welded fine for him and he didn't know nothing about it, BUT he did say he would give me a full 3ft tall bottle of C 25 for $75 that is a bought tank so i told him i would take it
                      Sounds like an 80' cylinder. That's not bad. I just wonder if he had someone switch from high to low while welding.

Comment

Originally posted by cope View Post
                        Sounds like an 80' cylinder. That's not bad. I just wonder if he had someone switch from high to low while welding.
                        thats exactly what i was wondering because it says specifically in the manual not to switch under load

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                          If you have currently been running C25 on your other unit, continue doing the same with the Vintage. As long as your skill level is up to par, as much power as the Vintage offers, you should have no trouble producing sound welds on 3/8" or 1/2" steel with C-25.

With C02 once you hit around 160 amps on the output, it becomes an annoying gas to deal with. Arc quality is generally poor, and the spatter level just keeps getting worse as the output power level increases.
                          you are correct on the weld spatter being worse at high amps with CO2 i do not like it at all might be ok on smaller amp welder for better penetration but i put the MM Vintage on the high side today with the CO2 on it and it was terrible need to get the high-lo range switch for it but the high side works good

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.