Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good Millermatic 35 Aluminum welding options?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good Millermatic 35 Aluminum welding options?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Several months ago I picked up a MM35, white face, converted to Tweco #2 gun. I cleaned it up, painted it, replaced consumables and ratty leads, put in about 160,000 uF of new capacitors and now it's awesome. I probably spent $300 in all, $100 on the welder itself and the rest in parts. Best tool purchase ever.

Anyway, now I'm interested in dabbling with aluminum. First question: is it even worth it with this power supply? Can I get spray transfer with this ~150A welder?

Second, how to feed wire?

My best options appear to be:
    A) try with nylon/teflon liner, keep the whip straight, etc. There are no U-groove rollers available for the MM35, near as I can tell.

B) Adapt a spool gun. If so, which one? Are there any with the standard Tweco backend that would work (with some electronics re-wiring on the power supply end)? Alternatively I could maybe tee the power and gas and put a generic Euro connector on the front?

C) Give up, borrow my neighbor's Dynasty 200DX and figure out how to TIG. I hate borrowing tools, especially $3000 ones.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Working...
X
Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.